Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Default How can I fix the leaks that I think are in my game?

Hi guys, this is my first post here because I'm in need of help. I started playing poker online in early March after spending two weeks reading books (specifically, Hold 'Em Poker, WLLHE, and HPFAP), and in about a month I went from my initial $50 (plus the $25 PP gives you) to about $500. I continued from there and was around $800 after another month or so, in April. However, during the past month, I don't know what it is, but I've been losing horribly. At first I thought I was just in a downswing, because I was playing $2/$4 and I figured a big downswing wouldn't be impossible from there, but I kept on falling and when I got to $600 I switched down to $1/$2. I figured those games would be easier and as long as I played a good game I would be able to climb up to $1200 where I could go to $2/$4 again. I was wrong.

I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong, but I'm still falling. I'm at $250 now, and I'm about to switch down to $.5/$1 if I don't win the MTT I just entered ($20+$2, which I do when I can, which isn't very often since I don't usually have that kind of time.)

When I got to around $400, I realized I might have been playing too loose, though I don't know WHEN exactly it was that I loosened up, and I tightened up some. My voluntarily put $ in pot is now around 19%, I don't know if that's average or what. My won % when saw flop is 28.57%, and my Won $ at Showdown is 51.16%. I don't know what other PT stats I'm supposed to look at to fix leaks in my game exactly.

How can I figure out whether or not I'm just on a huge downswing or if I'm actually playing very badly? Originally I assumed that playing a few thousand hands and getting up to $800 meant I must have been doing something right, now I think I see the power of luck at work.

I think it also may have been that after getting to $800, I kept rereading HPFAP more, and trying to apply some of the more aggressive techniques in it, but I think I was overapplying them. I'm told on PP that WLLHE applies much better in general, and I think I may reread that and try to follow it once I get it back from the guy I lent it to.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: How can I fix the leaks that I think are in my game?

One thing I noticed about myself is that my game slowly deteriorates over time. Play a little looser, then slowplay an extra time or two, start calling instead of making raise/fold decisions, whatever. Before long my win rate has evaporated.

I take a short break, study and get back on track.

Don't go up in limits so fast, you must prove your long term viability at .5/1. It is not just about being able to beat the game, but beating it when tired, when bored, when you haven't studied as you should be in a while, when on tilt. You have to know you are ahead of these demons before you move up. They cost me more than any routine leaks that I may have.

It is a good idea to always assume that your extended downswings are due to your play and not just bad luck. Look for specific leaks in your play and other factors like game selection, tilt, boredom, etc.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 AM

There's no room for ego in poker. If you are a beginner at Party, as i am, why are you not at .5/1? it's not about money at this stage of your career, it's about learning the game.

Relying on multis to boost your bankroll smacks of desperate hope too, they should be welcome additions to it, not expected moneys.

my VPIP is under 17%, my W$SF is 29%, my win at SD is 55%. These are basic statistics, though, what you should be learning is the intrinsic value of different hands in different positions at different size tables. Look at your position stats. Find out what hands you should be winning money on that you are losing on (in my case, AJo, JTs, 99 etc.)

From there, plug the (many) leaks that *will* be in your game.

Again, the best way to play is to serve your time at each level. I am doing fine at .5/1. I am also young and willing to see 1000 hours of play here before moving up. It's not scared, it's plain sensible. what i learn during these hours will not leave me, and will reinforce my game.

I'm sure there's more. these people will help. Post hand histories in the micros forum. The geniuses that reside there will truly help. They have helped me infinitely more than the books i read alone.

Best of luck, better preparation.
Pete Harris
Old 05-21-2004, 09:45 AM

See, what I figured is that if I played .5/1 the games might be so loose that I might form bad habits by playing against horrible opponents. Perhaps this is faulty thinking.

I appreciate the advice, though, and as a note, I'm not entering a MTT as expected money at all, I simply enjoy them and hardly ever have a chance to do them. It'd be nice if I won, but I don't really expect to, I just want some tournament experience, and the $20 was the only one that was registering at a time that I could actually play (I'd only enter anything $20 or below).

Also, Pete, this is totally off-topic, but I'm jealous you live in Edinburgh. I've visited twice for a couple weeks each, and it was an awesome experience both times.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See, what I figured is that if I played .5/1 the games might be so loose that I might form bad habits by playing against horrible opponents. Perhaps this is faulty thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definately faulty thinking. Eventually you need to learn to play against all types. Why not start with the ones giving away their money. It will build your immunity to the Bad Beat, since you will be stung often. It will prove your discipline as you play appropriately tight when everyone else is not, and if you do pick up their bad habits, it is good to find out now so you can take steps to overcome this big leak.

As I said before, I fight against bad habits and my moods all the time.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:55 AM

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What kinds of things specifically should I be looking at in PT though as far as how to fix leaks? Start looking at losing hands then examining each one to see where I may have played badly, or what?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Also look at your winning hands too to see where you left bets on the table.

Go to micro-limits and read the last 20 posts that are about hands played. Then start posting and replying. There is no shortcut, go there now.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 PM

reviewing losing sessions help too, i had a 27BB downswing this afternoon getting AJo as my best hand. Reviewed to see aggression, bad plays and such.

You should win money from all positions but the blinds on the table, if your position stats are negative, you are playing too loose for that seat.

Edinburgh is great, that's why i came to uni here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All visitors welcome!
Pete H.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:46 PM

I can tell you exactly why I have down swings in my game when I play. I start to believe that I'm better than I am. I start to think I can push the table around and people will bend to my will and my stack. I start to get away from the patient play that got me to be profitable in the first place. I don't know if it's the same kind of thing that you're going through but that's my take. You might want to take a break and just not think about poker for a little bit.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:57 PM

Post some hand histories in the micro forum. People will help you find the leaks and fix them. Good luck!