Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: AA...do I get greedy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any other hand you would consider just calling with pf in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

the answer to this question means nothing unless you think his opponent is capable of a third level of thought...which i doubt he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about 3rd level...The guy's thinking, "wow this tight player just raised preflop then only called off like a quarter of his stack. looks like he's trying to trap with a monster to me." if garland pushes he could likely to think, "oh this bastard has AK and wants me to fold my pocket two's, good thing they are a favorite over AK, I call."
Not that this amount of reasoning is certain for the other player...but it's definitely possible and worth considering.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 AM

smiley,
if i see a 3rd raise from a tight player over an all=in, i am most DEFINATELY not putting him on AK.neither are most players here...let them see a flop and then hang themselves when they catch a piece or decide that their overpair is just too good to fold. They're much more likely to make this mistake then they are to put us on AK.
regards,
crosse
Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 AM

If you push you win.....$142 (not counting what you put in the pot)

Let's say villian folds the flop unless he hits his set....

approx 88% of the time you win $198
approx 10% of the time you lose $255
approx 2% of the time you win $365
---------------------------------------
avg. win = $156 (not counting what you put in the pot)

Plus sometimes villian might call you're allin when you're ahead. If my math is right you have an easy call.

<Edit> okay....i just realized that i'm making entirely too many assumptions and that i totally forgot about the other guy (the guy that's already allin) and his impact on the hand (he might actually win)....That said, i still think you should call and not raise
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 AM

Seems like an easy call. The pot will be bigger than stacks on the flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 AM

i dont like the flat call.. if he has something like QQ or KK, hes coming with a raggy flop anyways.. and the short stack could have something like AK and decided to put all the money in the middle hopeing to spike a good flop.

i think the flat call might look a little sketchy to the guy behind you.. not only that you give him a chance to take the lead in the hand and then you're incorrect to fold. if he has KK, spikes a K, and now you're sitting on a flop with a lot of money in it and hes got you beat you have to call.. get it in there now.. if he comes with you.. hes got KK and maybe QQ.. and you're a huge favorite to win.

you're right about the getting greedy thing.. if you push and he sucks out on you.. oh well thats poker, if you call and he calls and spikes a set you'll be kicking your self in the face.. all because of a few hundred extra.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like the flat call.. if he has something like QQ or KK, hes coming with a raggy flop anyways.. and the short stack could have something like AK and decided to put all the money in the middle hopeing to spike a good flop.

i think the flat call might look a little sketchy to the guy behind you.. not only that you give him a chance to take the lead in the hand and then you're incorrect to fold. if he has KK, spikes a K, and now you're sitting on a flop with a lot of money in it and hes got you beat you have to call.. get it in there now.. if he comes with you.. hes got KK and maybe QQ.. and you're a huge favorite to win.

you're right about the getting greedy thing.. if you push and he sucks out on you.. oh well thats poker, if you call and he calls and spikes a set you'll be kicking your self in the face.. all because of a few hundred extra.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man...think about this a little harder
Old 12-14-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he has something like QQ or KK, hes coming with a raggy flop anyways..

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has something like QQ or KK and happens to be slow-playing by cold-calling the $32, he's going to push behind me if I flat call.

Garland
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 AM

think about what? he has the best hand and hes trying to extract the max value.

i know those guys are drawing to few outs to bust his hand.. but say the flop comes 3 flush.. or a Q or a K comes.. that has to be setting off alarms in your head.. now you're sitting on a huge pot with one guy all in.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 AM

im not so sure he would do that. because there is already one guy all in.. so he has to beat him. he might take a flop and then pull the trigger then.. if he does you're making yourself think wayy too hard in this situation and giving him too many chances to beat you.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 AM

pot is 264, opponent would have 167 left and put in 1/3 of his stack pf, i have AA...there is no flop that would cause alarms to go off in my head.

the key here is extracting max value from hands like JJ, QQ, AK, AQ, KK, etc...if you are pushing b/c you are worried about losing to a 2 outter for a "big pot" then you aren't playing good poker and "extracing max value".