Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Improvement in MTT Discussion- SNG vs Cash

Any opinions on what makes a better MTT player, cash games or sit n Gos? I know the Sit N Gos are very good for improving final table play. Cash games can help in pressure situations and on a person's reading ability where there is a lot more money being thrown around than a $22 dollar buyin.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Improvement in MTT Discussion- SNG vs Cash

Anybody have any views on this? Did most of you start playing cash games then moved to Sit N Gos then MTT? Or right to MTT?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:34 PM

I'd say the 2- and 3-table SNGs are the best practice because they most closely simulate the structure of tourneys. Obviously the best practice is to play lots and lots of low buyin MTTs, but if time is an issue I think SnGs are the best bet. Cash game play is often much different.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:46 PM

I don't play many sit and gos, but I can tell you that ever since I started playing a lot more cash games (NL 400, 6/max) I feel like my tournament game has improved. A lot of people say that it's hard to be good at multiple games. I think its the opposite. Being well versed keeps your poker mind sharp, and helps your understanding of poker in general.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:59 PM

I started out playing SnGs and was a winning player at the $22s before I switched to cash NL. Cash NL games were my main game for about a year and a half until I started playing other games (mostly PLO/8). About a month ago I started playing MTTs and I feel like I'm in control in all situations.

In the first parts of the tourney, cash game and early SnG play is in full effect. Playing cash games definitely helped me learn to play post-flop poker way better than when I just played SnGs. I also feel very comfortable mixing it up early with other big stacks.

When stacks get short I feel like I have a big advantage over a lot people at my levels ($5-$20 MTTs) from playing SnGs.

So, short answer, SnGs are probably the best if you have to choose one but you should really learn both.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started out playing SnGs and was a winning player at the $22s before I switched to cash NL. Cash NL games were my main game for about a year and a half until I started playing other games (mostly PLO/8). About a month ago I started playing MTTs and I feel like I'm in control in all situations.

In the first parts of the tourney, cash game and early SnG play is in full effect. Playing cash games definitely helped me learn to play post-flop poker way better than when I just played SnGs. I also feel very comfortable mixing it up early with other big stacks.

When stacks get short I feel like I have a big advantage over a lot people at my levels ($5-$20 MTTs) from playing SnGs.

So, short answer, SnGs are probably the best if you have to choose one but you should really learn both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I think that SNGs help you adjust better to shallow-stack tournaments and the short-handed situations. I think some lessons and styles learned from SNGs are crucial. But, I also think that cash games are vital when you're playing in a deeper-stack format.

If you're a regular player in the cash games, I imagine you'd do well in the Stars rebuy/deep-stack tourneys. If you're an SNG player, you'll probably fare better in the shallow-stack, normal MTT.

Just my two cents. FWIW, though, I think spending time with both NL cash games and SNGs is essential to becoming a well-rounded MTT player.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 PM

IMHO, 1-table SnGs are bad practice for tournaments unless you wanna practice 3-handed and HU play. The payout structure is just too different everywhere else (and almost exactly the same there).
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 PM

SH NL cash games will improve your tournament game more than anything else. by a lot imo. holla
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people say that it's hard to be good at multiple games. I think its the opposite. Being well versed keeps your poker mind sharp, and helps your understanding of poker in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I recently started playing O/8, and played little else for several months. When I returned to HE, my play there was much improved.

What specifically will help you the most depends on your current strengths and weaknesses. If you are weak at bubble or ITM play, SnGs should help.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 PM

SNG's for the experience of shorthanded play, late stage aggression and understanding the values of various hands relative to position, stack sizes and blinds/antes per orbit