Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 PM

Default PPM Steps, On someone elses account.

So I stupidly, without thinking, entered a PPM Steps on my sisters account. Of course, before I realised the potential problem, Bang! 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st. Yep so I now have a step 1 freeroll. In my sisters name. She can't play poker for toffee.

My sister emailed Party about how she can't make the cruise, can she get money back or something. Their answer was "No, No, No". Just lump it, basically.

What's the plan?

1) Wait for the freeroll to expire. Will I get the money back?

2) Carry on trying to qualify. Has anybody had any success getting the PPM entries transferred to another player or getting the cash?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: PPM Steps, On someone elses account.

ouch this sucks. I'm pretty sure you have exactly four options:

- write it off as a loss.
- chip dump.
- teach your sis to play some cards.
- buy a dress.

edit: thought of a new idea
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM

ive heard stories about people who had WSOP step freerolls in their account and when party stopped running the WSOP steps (after the wsop started), they received cash in their account for what the freerolls were worth. who knows if party will do this again or not, but i expect they will.

that has you waiting until march for the money, but i think its your best bet.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Ask them if you can exchange these for Step Higher freerolls? It keeps the money in their rake-eating system that way. Still seems doubtful that Party would go out of their way for anyone though.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:25 PM

I think that REALLY REALLY begging MIGHT get you there.

Thought I have read of a couple of situations where somebody was able to agree to a a $9k refund or something in exchange for the cruise package.

But...this is all just web-gossip so who the hell knows.

If you can confirm that people actually HAVE gotten refunds before then this might be your best bet.

There was some confusion over what would happen with the WSOP steps...but I believe that Benal reported that people actually did get refunds in the end (when at first party kept insisting there would be no refunds and they would simply expire).

yes, it was dumb to start this stretch on your sister's account.
I don't understand why there are so many people who have gotten themselves into situations like this.
In the meanwhile...I still can't make it any higher than Step 2 for some reason (well...I know the reason...it's because I suck).

The other REALLY WEIRD possibility would be to try to get the name on the account changed to your own (without mentioning that you are trying to do this because of the cruise).
If you can somehow tell them that you signed-up your sister...but then she wasn't playing...and then you were playing on the account too...but then you totally forgot the account was in your sister's name...and then you just checked 'my account' and saw that it was still in your sister's name and you had just completely forgotten about that.
Stuff like that (or....you were SHOWING your sister how to sign-up...you thought you were creating an account for yourself, but you actually created an account for her and didn't even realize it until just now).
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep so I now have a step 1 freeroll. In my sisters name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you start at step 1?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I might try the wait-for-it-to-expire route.

Yes it was really stupido. I also can't ask for a name change on the account, becuase I already, ahem, have an account..... This is how the whole problem came about if you catch my drift. Just kinda forgot about it all.

Of course now I will be playing the steps on my own account, what's the guess I wont be able to get past step 1? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If it was a NL tourney I would actually be MORE inclined to qualify and go along with my sister. There is that begginer NL tournament strategy that Sklansky outlined, which would give my sister a fighting chance. But bizarelly, I think it would be pretty tough to stand any chance in a Limit tournament for an absolute begginer.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yep so I now have a step 1 freeroll. In my sisters name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you start at step 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yeah, I want my $12 God damn it!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 PM

1st - there is still the possibility that you could have the account in your name closed down..and then get the one in your sister's name changed. it's a real long-shot I know. Just thinking.

Maybe you can get the one in your sister's name changed to your name with a different mailing-address that is off by one letter in both the name and the address.

Okay..this is getting a bit goofy.

2nd - The other poster pointed out that you start at Step 1. I think you mean Step 5 or something.

3rd - You'd be surprised how bad the players are in this tourney. I think your sister could have a fighting chance.
The pay-out structure is favorable too.

Last year...735 players.
180th got $5200.
140th got $10.4k.

I had only once played a live tourney before...and that was a cheap $27 rebuy over a year earlier.
so this was my first 'real' live tourney experience.
I finished 177th and won $5200 (which turned out to be a little disappointing actually because I was around 60th place after day 1).

Just teaching your sister a generally tight strategy...with some focus on how to play in the blinds...and she might actually have a chance to squeeze into the money.
I'm completely serious about this.
Weak-tight can actually make it if you get fortunate enough.

Even if she's never played live-poker before and there is none near you...you can cover some of the basics. And then you can hit the 2/4 or 3/6 limit games on the boat to get her familiar with the mechanics of the game (posting the blinds, etc).

Day 1 is done in two 'heats'.
You board the boat on Saturday I think.
Day 1a is 370 players on sunday.
Day 1b is 370 players on monday.

About 140 players survive from each day so you have around 280 players on day 2.

If you can survive day 1 with any amount of chips then you are very close to the point where you can almost fold your way into the money.

Anyway - for a total beginner with any kind of desire to try to pull it off I don't think it's quite as hopeless as you might actually think.

Another story - bigdaddydvo and I are at the WSOP in Vegas.
He has some friend of his from the Army meet him there and we go to the Palms to play one of their tourneys they were running that month.
$120 buy-in maybe??
I finished around 50th I think out of over 100 players and bigdaddy finished around 40th.
His friend who barely knew how to play...and had never played a tourney before...just played ultra, weak-tight the whole-time. Barely played any hands for the first several rounds.
He finished 4th and won about $1k I believe.

I think it would be freaking cool if you were in a position where you HAD to teach your sister to play and she somehow pulled this off.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM

One other idea:

The cruise itself is pretty darned good.

It's not quite good enough where I would pay $2500 or whatever to go on it without the tourney-entry...but it's still pretty worthwhile and I'm really hoping I can win my there again.

I think you get $800 or $1k in cash for travel-expenses plus the $2k or $2500 'value' of the cruise.

So...your sister's chances aren't exactly gonig to be 'even' EV in the actual event (assuming she's stuck playing it) but you're still getting SOME cash as well as a nice cruise so it's not a total loss.
And there is SOME ev in the chances of your sister just catching a ton of cards and actually making the money.