Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Increase PF Raise?

I'm familiar with a ton of literature and Ed's SSHE, but I'm having problems putting it into practice I guess. I play 1/2 now but I can't seem to get my PF Raise above 7. My VPIP is 21 and I'd like to get my PF to 12. I raise automatically with AA, KK, QQ, AKs and Off, along with JJ. Mid to late, I raise with AQs and off, AJs and off along with 99 and 10/10. Should I raise with any ace on the button without callers? Also should I raise with 77/88 more? What do you guys do? It seems like its hard for me to pull the trigger on some raises. I know, it's probably because I'm a wuss, but any constructive crit would be helpful.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Increase PF Raise?

why would you want to get it over 7? 8 sounds about right, but 12 is just ridiculous. Work on lowering your VPIP. You also didn't mention how many hands you've played, but I'm betting it ain't enough, or you would have been wise enough not to ask this question.

Like always, just follow the SSHE chart religiously. Do it even if you don't understand why. Do it even if your feeling like it's wrong. Just do it!

Crovax
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why would you want to get it over 7

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur with crovax. As he alluded, unless you have the proper sample size - don't rely on the stats per se. Again, assuming your sample is good, your PFR is good where it is.

Follow the recommendations in SSHE and focus more on how you play your hand post-flop.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 AM

a point well taken, appreciate your input. I just thought that PF was supposed to be roughly half VPIP. Sample size in 1/2 about 7000 hands, .50/1.00 about 40000. If I work on lowering VPIP to 18 it should improve i think.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 AM

I think 12 is too high as well, but I also think 7 is just a little low. Depending on your sample size, I think 8-10 is a better range (this may be a little petty). The difference may come down to situational raises (i.e-a loose passive player limps in middle/late position and you only have 2 super TAGs behind you). Do you raise with KQo in the Hijack when no one has shown strength?

I am not assuming anything here, but I think that most important thing people (including myself) need to focus on is post flop play. I am constantly trying to develop the best lines preflop to get 1-2 big bets out of the other players post flop. In Low Limit Hold 'em this is really where the money is at because the fish are coming in with any 2 a lot of times no matter what the preflop action is.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 AM

7 is not too bad for full ring. You can raise any ace and any pair on the button if you are first in, but at low limits its not something that should happen for you often. Start raising small pocket pairs and large suited connectors in LP when there are 4 or 5 limpers to you.

Your VPIP is a little high, especially if you said you are
a wuss. A lot of marginal hands won't be profitable for you until you learn to play better postflop.

If you are playing shorthanded, things are totally different.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 AM

I seem to be raising around 10% of hands at 1/2 (don't have a significant sample size), and I'm winning by far the most from the button (incidentally, my PFR is 4% higher here than any other position, but that should settle down a bit after more hands). Once you're comfortable with post-flop play, raising various suited connectors, offsuit broadways, and so on against tight blinds seems to make quite a difference.

Try playing some 6-max or other shorthanded game, you'll learn a lot.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like always, just follow the SSHE chart religiously. Do it even if you don't understand why. Do it even if your feeling like it's wrong. Just do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to work out if this was sarcastic, and in the end I decided it wasn't. If I'm right, then this advice makes me sad.

When you're just starting out, following a preflop chart is a great idea, as it gives you a solid foundation for good preflop play. But to improve as a player, you need to understand why the chart is how it is. If you don't understand why Ed et al put something in the chart, reread the preflop section until you do.

Yes, as others have stated, postflop play is where it's at, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort to understand why you're doing what you're doing preflop.

You need to understand why it's correct to raise AA whatever the action, you need to understand why not to coldcall a raise from a tight player with AJo and you need to understand why your PFR % should be highest on the button.

I promise you that if you make the effort to learn why you're raising when the chart tells you to, your PFR % will rise. But note that that shouldn't be your aim in and of itself - i.e. don't just blindly try to reach those mystic numbers that someone somewhere has told you is the correct way to play. Understand what is going on and your numbers will fall into place.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 PM

holy gregatron.

there's a lot of questionable and bad advice in this thread.

don't follow a chart. understand the chart and deviate accordingly.

a 20/7 game can be profitable. as can a 22/12. as can a 18/8.

when to raise more and should you? it depends on many factors, such as your postflop skill and your awareness of preflop table conditions

as for how? just do it. see what happens. it's only an extra small bet.

as to the hands you mentioned, you could start by raising ALL of them ALL the time in any non-blind position in an unraised pot (assuming a loose passive table). and throwing in some others.

this list would include:
AA-99
AKs-ATs
KQs, KJs
AKo-AJo
KQo

then, when you are comfortable with these, work in "situational" raises with suited aces, offsuit broadways, and hands like KTs, QTs, A9o etc...
Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's a lot of questionable and bad advice in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it, Tilt. Especially that line about following the preflop chart "religiously," ugh.