Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Teacher Bias

[ QUOTE ]
Totally wrong. I'd rather not be a sellout and get a worse grade.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your professor is not a total prick you will get an excellent grade even if you disagree. My university English teacher was a liberal and tried to teach us the liberal messages that the authors were allegedly trying to convey in their work, which was total BS of course. For my final paper I wrote 6 pages on why that was nonsense, and in fact, why the authors were actually trying to convey the opposite (conservative) message.

I got a 95/100.

His notes?

"I couldn't possibly disagree with any human being more than I disagree with you, but your paper is excellently written and full of support for your ideas. I took 5 points off because it had to be 8 pages and you only wrote 6."

So again, for the OP, if your prof isn't a tard and can grade objectively, you should be ok. If your prof is a tard and will give you a lower grade just because she doesn't agree with you, then get revenge by taking cheap shots at her views during class debates.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a debate class. He is supposed to state his own opinion, not that of his professor. You are talking about something entirely different. You said the OP. If you did, your reading comprehension must be poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not a debate class. Why is he going to school? What purpose does it serve to go out of your way to get crappy grades? Doing something knowing it will will get you a crappy grade is not cool or "not selling out" it's just idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing something simply because it will get you a good grade is idiotic, if you don't believe in what you are saying. The reason he should be taking the class is not to get a good grade, but to learn something. If he is not forming his own opinions, he is learning nothing. Grades mean [censored]. Not being a pushover means something.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally wrong. I'd rather not be a sellout and get a worse grade.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your professor is not a total prick you will get an excellent grade even if you disagree. My university English teacher was a liberal and tried to teach us the liberal messages that the authors were allegedly trying to convey in their work, which was total BS of course. For my final paper I wrote 6 pages on why that was nonsense, and in fact, why the authors were actually trying to convey the opposite (conservative) message.

I got a 95/100.

His notes?

"I couldn't possibly disagree with any human being more than I disagree with you, but your paper is excellently written and full of support for your ideas. I took 5 points off because it had to be 8 pages and you only wrote 6."

So again, for the OP, if your prof isn't a tard and can grade objectively, you should be ok. If your prof is a tard and will give you a lower grade just because she doesn't agree with you, then get revenge by taking cheap shots at her views during class debates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a similar experience, in a SOCY423, class where I disputed EVERYTHING that came out of the Professor's mouth and earned an A. It was a lot of fun, so if you disagree, you'll enjoy the class more as you look to practise some sort of rhetoric.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doing something simply because it will get you a good grade is idiotic, if you don't believe in what you are saying. The reason he should be taking the class is not to get a good grade, but to learn something. If he is not forming his own opinions, he is learning nothing. Grades mean [censored]. Not being a pushover means something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just stupid. I know what my opinion is. I don't learn anything by telling her what it is. If the only result of doing so is a negative one, why do it? If the purpose of the project is to practice communicating idea/opinions, you'll learn just as much choosing either side.

In general, I'm a lot like you. I hate to back down from my ideas, but in this case it's just moronic. There's nothing to be gained.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had a similar experience, in a SOCY423, class where I disputed EVERYTHING that came out of the Professor's mouth and earned an A. It was a lot of fun, so if you disagree, you'll enjoy the class more as you look to practise some sort of rhetoric.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this during my philosophy class as well. The funny part here was that the teacher actually agreed with me that all of the things she was teaching were invalid arguments, like the God proofs and a lot of the morality stuff, but she had to argue with me because she had to teach the material to the class. Made for very fun debate.

The best, though, was for my Ethics in Computer Science class where I would argue on the side of the record and movie industry or other similar entities and all the geeks in the class would be trying to convince the professor and I that Napster and other P2P software wasn't intended for software piracy.

Then we all had a big laugh about how I did my final project using my pirated copy of PowerPoint.

hee hee
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

for FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 PM

ive gotten jerkoff hippy retard instructors before with the IQ of my foot and the stubbornness of a mules penis. you just have to deal with it
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is not forming his own opinions, he is learning nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he made it abundantly clear that he had formed his own opinions. Kinda the whole point of his post, isn't it?

I agree with Jake all the way. Roll your eyes, write whatever it is he/she wants to hear, and forget about it.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he is not forming his own opinions, he is learning nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he made it abundantly clear that he had formed his own opinions. Kinda the whole point of his post, isn't it?

I agree with Jake all the way. Roll your eyes, write whatever it is he/she wants to hear, and forget about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET GOD ALMIGHTY, ALL THESE POSTS AND NOT ONE HAS HELPED ME. I dont care about teh debate of whether I should/or should not state my opinion. I have my own, and I know what I stand for. What I DO NOT know is what SHE stands for. She has a french last name, and that is all I know. So I figured Ill just write her an email, carefully worded to get some type of biased response and go from there.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She has a french last name

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberal.