Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: AA line I\'ve never taken before...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check folding here sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice sucks. Only an idiot would call that big of a PF raise with anything lower than QQ.
I see arguments for leading and check/folding... BUT saying check/folding sucks is just retarded.
And I know we play against idiots sometimes but thats not an excuse...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only an idiot would call with worse than QQ and only an idiot would bet it on this flop. Kinda ironic, isn't it, in that it makes my point.

Also, I'd like to point out that $52 isn't much more than what villain could calll any PP and play for set value.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:34 PM

FYI...I found this interesting so i reposted it in high stakes....Hope you don't mind Garland....

LINK
Old 12-10-2005, 10:44 PM

villain/garland hardly have deep stacks at all

also, woolygimp, youd really fold KK to a re-raise pre-flop with deepstacks? stay at 2/4, youll get run over anywhere else

edit: wait, ignore what i just said, i guess youre talking from a weak-tight villains point of view? if thats the case, forget what i just said
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain/garland hardly have deep stacks at all

also, woolygimp, youd really fold KK to a re-raise pre-flop with deepstacks? stay at 2/4, youll get run over anywhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

Look... Based on the stats Garland gave me I have no reason the villain is making a re-steal PF. I understand people are much more aggressive at higher limits or at different tables, don't assume I can't loosen up to adapt. I understand im probaly the most weak/tight member of the MSNL forum, but don't assume my play is wrong. Sure people like BigJim and the better players are making 10+PTBB/100 or more, but I'm happy with my 8.15PTBB/100. My TAG play is working just fine at the limit I'm at and haven't had a real reason to change it.

In most situations I would probaly be all in PF, but not with the read garland gave us.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should muck 72o under the gun in a 10-handed limit holdem game 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

*tsk* *tsk* using a limit poker example to counter a no-limit argument *tsk* *tsk*

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*tsk* *tsk* using a limit poker example to counter a no-limit argument *tsk* *tsk*

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...We should muck it 100% of the time in no-limit as well....It's just clearer in limit and i was responding to where you said 'in poker, nothing is 100%'
Old 12-10-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When i say "very likely beaten" I mean >50% of the time. I don't mean 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, because I read "very likely beaten" to imply further to 100% than something like 51%, maybe 80% or more. I guess we're on the same then about that.

Garland
Old 12-11-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
scenario of a JJ reraise on a KQx board and you feel you're "very likely beaten," what better hand is going to fold other than perhaps AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently AA will fold on this flop.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM

Got me there.

Garland
Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To all those saying "nice hand sir" i have a question:

Are you insane?

Without alot more specific information on villian, i don't just think this is bad. It's terrible....Putting villian on AA - QQ based on the fact that he called your reraise and he's played tight over 300 hands is terrbile. And if he's that tight you should probably be reraising this guy with any 2.

Many people who play very tight preflop are not nearly as tight when it comes to calling raises and reraises. Many get attached to 'good' hands. They think, "I'm playing tight but i'm not going to get pushed around".....This guy could have as little as AK-AQ, or AA-77. And checking the flop is giving him a license to steal (just because he's tight doesn't mean he's not gonna bet his 10-10 to find out where he is).

Granted, this is not an ideal flop but sometimes you just gotta shove some chips in the pot. Close your eyes if necessary, bet the flop, and play poker from there!

[edit] one more comment: When you reraise preflop and get 2-way action you should be betting flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am new to this particular forum, and this post shocked me. I was reading through the post waiting for this type of answer and finally I found it.

Ok granted, it is quite possible that the dude flopped a set, but there are a bunch of other hands he could have to bet here. You just HAVE to lead out - how can you play AA like this, how can you play poker like this ? Its way too passive IMO

Like this guy said, the opponent could easily have 99-JJ, or AK, maybe even less. Your check looks like you have the underpair and you have given up the hand. I know I would bet in his spot, with ANYTHING, you are either slowplaying a monster or giving up the hand, and s worth betting to find out.

Maybe you made a great play, and if you are happy then that is fine, but I really think you are giving your opponent way too much respect.

BTW I play these stakes, and I would say I am a LAG, maybe that is where we disagree, but its just my 2 cents.