Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Tonight\'s WSOP Freeroll - add me to those with Main Event heartbreak..

So I played the WSOP Main Event freeroll on party poker tonight. 414 people entered. I am the chip leader by a lot with 14 to go. Starting to dream. A few blinds steals gone wrong and a coin flip that I lost had me around average as we moved to the final table.

I bide my time, get down to about 5x the big blind with 6 people to go. Zero cards, hard to steal. One double up and a blind steal later and I am in business.

We get down to three and I am the short stack, though with one double up, I would be chip leader. I am in fine shape. 10x the BB. Lots of stealing. It is basically push or fold at this point, until headsup play.

I have pushed on the BB when I was the SB two times in a row. Once with K3 and the other time with 9 10. Neither was called.

Then, this hand comes. I guess the WSOP just wasn’t meant to be. Needless to say, I am crushed.

***** Hand History for Game 2244239846 *****

NL Hold'em Trny:13294116 Level:18 Blinds (4000/8000) - Wednesday, June 22, 00:31:04 EDT 2005

Table WSOP Freeroll 5,000 Points(369151) Table #1 (Real Money)

Seat 8 is the button

Total number of players : 3

Seat 2: marshallk13 ( $138614 )
Seat 8: jaygee84 ( $193695 )
Seat 10: thethrill22 ( $81691 )

Trny:13294116 Level:18
Blinds (4000/8000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to thethrill22 [ Ah Ts ]
RODSHARK22: coconuts
kcroy24: do it
jaygee84 folds.
thethrill22 is all-In [77691]
kcroy24: nice
marshallk13 calls [73691].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 8d, 9d ]
Xorply: yeah!
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jd ]
kcroy24: double up time
** Dealing River ** [ 6h ]
thethrill22 shows [ Ah, Ts ] a pair of tens.
marshallk13 shows [ Ac, 7h ] a straight, seven to jack.
marshallk13 wins 163382 chips from the main pot with a straight, seven to jack.

Player thethrill22 finished in 3 place

thethrill22 has left the table.

The Thrill is gone. This will stick with me for at least a few days. So close.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Tonight\'s WSOP Freeroll - add me to those with Main Event heartbreak..

That's a tough one. The all or nothing of that freeroll is nearly impossible. I would imagine it would be easier to cash in the actual main event!

I've had about 5 close attempts, but none as close as you just had. It is a bit depressing right when I get knocked out - it's almost like I'm briefly in a state of shock.

Better luck next time.

-ptmusic
Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Tonight\'s WSOP Freeroll - add me to those with Main Event heartbreak..

Bad beat police?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:44 AM

i feel your pain my friend, but keep your head up. It was ONLY a freeroll, right. All you can really ask is to put yourself in a great spot to win, whether that be one hand, a session, and poker in general. you just want to put yourself in great situations and a good chance to win, and u've done that.
I totally feel your pain though. I finished 2nd in a triple shoot out on PS for the main event seat.
1st place = main event seat, 9 days of hotel accomodations, and $1000.
2nd place = $184, just like the rest of the final table 2nd-8th = $184.
When we were heads up, i had a 7400 to 4600 lead. I asked if he would settle for 2K and he said he wanted 4K. We decided to play it out and I lost. At that point, I was so devestated that I wanted to quit playing poker for good...kinda like a bad relationship/gf break up. I couldn't take the disappointments anymore. 6 hours later, i came to my senses and thought that was foolish of me, considering I finished so far. The next night, I won a rebuy tournament on pokerstars that had 702 people in it...actually i chopped it w/ the other guy, even though I had a slight chip lead.
In hindsight, I guess i should have forked over the 4K, since it would have been 3K since I get 1K for winning. Keep your head up.
When I lost, my friend said, "it's okay, you wouldn't have gone far anyways, there's just too many land mines out there."
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 AM

Appreciate the story. Still stings this morning, but what can you do? Got to get back on the horse (just probably not tonight).
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat police?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 PM

I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. It was the $33 rebuy on Stars. 176 players. When HU started we each had 350k in chips and blinds at 4k/8k. We played HU for about an hour and I lost.

It still stings like a bitch. Anyone who tells you it shouldn't has no clue what they're talking about. I don't think I'll get over it until the final episode of the WSOP broadcasts on ESPN. Even then, maybe not.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Tonight\'s WSOP Freeroll - add me to those with Main Event heartbre

damn thats a tough pill to swallow dude. i feel your pain