Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 11:30 AM

Default 98s in CO

$1/$2 PL

Opponent stacks are ~$200, I have them covered. Two loose limpers to me, I pot raise to $11 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. My image is TAG...16/5/5. SB folds, BB calls, 1 limper in MP calls, 1 folds.

Flop, 3-handed ~$36 - 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP checks, I check

I continuation bet about 90% of the time, but my hand is pretty marginal, I decided to take a free card and see if I hit my gutshot or improve in some way. I figure this could also look like a missed AK/AQ and give me bluff equity if an A/K/Q should fall.

Turn ~$36 - J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets $5, MP calls, I call

I now have a flush draw. I consider raising, but decide to take the nice odds that are offered.

River ~$50 - A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP checks, I bet $35

I missed, but neither have shown strength...here's my bluff card.

Neither Villain has come to my attention as being too much of a donk.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 98s in CO

Looks great to me. That's the best river card you could hit that doesn't actually improve your hand to better than no pair.

Is this on Party? This and your other post are full of people making uberdonk underbets-- is that common? The full ring NL doesn't have many of these types.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 AM

I like it.

played perfectly.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Well played. Did you have any questions? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks great to me. That's the best river card you could hit that doesn't actually improve your hand to better than no pair.

Is this on Party? This and your other post are full of people making uberdonk underbets-- is that common? The full ring NL doesn't have many of these types.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the first time in a while that i've played the 1/2 (empire balance $10K->$2K since July 1). 2/4 and 3/6 has this occassionally. i only saw a few uberdonks do this in the 5/10 and 10/20. it definitely becomes more rare as you move up.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Well played. Typically when someone underbets the pot I think they are either begging for a raise, or the bet should be played as a check because they're just making a "feeler" bet. His check on the river showed it to be the latter.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well played. Did you have any questions? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, i guess not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 AM

on these rivers I'm always afraid I'm going to get called by somebody with A7 or somthing like that but I make it 35 anyways.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Well played.
My general reflection is that ppl in 1/2NL are too much of donks to raise with suited connectors against them. You can take their stack with or without preflop raise and the more opponents see the flop the better (because a chance that there will be sb willing to pay you off increases).

Best wishes !
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 PM

I think I would have raised the turn. Even with the caller there, it is actually quite rare for those small bet/calls to be willing to call the raise as well. I can't tell you how many pots I take down by raising these awful minibets. It's like people remember this one time they took down a $35 or even $135 pot with a $5 bet... and they're willing to try it all the time now. The best part is, after you raise in this situation and take it down on the turn, the moron will do it again... because he forgets that hand, and still remembers the time that some fool folded to his ridiculously small bet. Rinse and repeat.