Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 AM

Default 10-20 commerce .... amazing flop......with stupid hand

Yeah so i have a tight table image and have about $3000 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i'm in MP.....and bored.....so i decided to get cute.

EP limps, Hero raises to 80, Button calls, BB calls, limper calls (ok time to give up the hand...right? wrong.)

Flop ($330)
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me I bet $200

Anyone just check this?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: 10-20 commerce .... amazing flop......with stupid hand

would you make this same bet if you were scared of someone holding a Q?

if no, and they know that, then check
Old 07-12-2005, 05:34 AM

You've got three opponents in a raised pot: bet. Either someone has a hand or they don't. I don't think there are a lot of second-best hands your opponents are going to hit for free that they wouldn't have called a bet to hit. You might get lucky and let someone hit their third six on the turn or something but I really think betting is the best choice, here.

The only way I check here is if I routinely check when "scared" of someone having an X.

SpaceAce
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone just check this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, but i bet any two when checked to when i was the pfr and have only two opponents
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone just check this?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guy reaction is to check, as the only person who will call your bet here is the unlikely person with a Q as well. If you check, you might get JJ to make a feeler bet on the turn or something. Plus, someone with AK might hit the turn and allow you to win a decent pot.

However, after some consideration... an A or K on the turn lets you lose your stack to AQ, KQ, AA, and KK. And I think, in all 4 of these situations, you will be able to make a lot of money on every street by betting and raising... while at the same time, seeing someone call your big bets, and then seeing the A or K fall, might allow you to get away from the hand.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:58 AM

I take it that $80 is smaller than the normal raise on the table since you go 4 handed to the flop.

I like the bet, not too big, not too small. So which one came over the top?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah so i have a tight table image and have about $3000 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i'm in MP.....and bored.....so i decided to get cute.

EP limps, Hero raises to 80, Button calls, BB calls, limper calls (ok time to give up the hand...right? wrong.)

Flop ($330)
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me I bet $200

Anyone just check this?

[/ QUOTE ]

played perfect.

from an unknown, a check on this flop is a hell of a lot scarier than a bet.

plus, if they try to move you off your hand with air, you will already have a good sized pot that they will have to throw some bullets in to make you 'fold'.

and on this flop, any bullets going into the pot=good, good.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop ($330)

Checked to me I bet $200

Anyone just check this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's think about the possible hands that will play with you:

AQ - This hand has to believe it's ahead of everything but 44. Depending on opponent, you will likely get a very large portion of a stack against an opponent with AQ.

Flush Draw - Will probably assume it is ahead on any low spade, and proceed strongly but cautiously on a high spade

KQ - Opponent dependant. Will be scared of AQ. Will clearly pay you off to a reasonable degree, but could possibly get away if they strongly suspect AQ.

Qx - Opponent dependant. Will be scared on many turn cards in addition to already being afraid of being behind.

What to do here also depends on how likely an opponent is to "trap" you with AQ. You obviously want to be raised on the flop. If they are less likely to trap, this bet invites a raise, plus if you get flat called an ace or king should not scare you. If your opponents do like to trap I would bet slightly less than the pot, 280 or so.

Overall I like this bet, you get money into the pot, you allow flush draws to possibly take a card off and you hopefully invite a raise from a strong hand or even air.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop ($330)

Checked to me I bet $200

Anyone just check this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check acting afraid of the paired queens especially with 3 people checking ahead and wait for the action on the turn, hoping someone else doesn't make a boat. I would check because if someone has AQ/KQ you're getting your money into the pot no matter where you are in the hand (flop/turn/river) as long as a scare card doesn't come. A scare card might also help out one of the other 3 players, so right now, there are only 3 outs that can hurt you to make a bigger boat and 2 outs (a 4 or runner runner higher paired boared) to chop.

Nobody in the hand has Aces or Kings. Kings would've definitely re-raised and only the button MIGHT have Aces. I figure with 3 other people in the hand, someone may have a pocket pair and/or the flush draw so I'll check behind letting them hit their card(s). This is definitely a great pot for a suited connector to join in. So I figure the limper may have something of the sort of a suited/ connector or a small-mid pocket pair. If someone has a queen, it may be button or BB and I doubt limper would have QJ.

However, if I do bet, I make more of a feeler bet of about 1/2-2/3 the pot. A queen may then raise you trying to protect the flush draw and the flush draw will call. Hell, you may even get a bluffer raising the pot nicely trying to represent the queen. Anyways, you'll find out who has the queen or not.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Default results

everyone folded and i let out a sigh of disappointment