Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Default is this forum going to hell?

El Diablo sent me a PM earlier today that got me thinking. It was in reference to an earlier thread where he took the time to give me some advice that I already knew the answer to. I was basically posting to reaffirm that I had played correctly but the post was pretty much useless.

But more than that, Diablo seems annoyed that the quality and level or the threads of the posts on this forum have been steadily deteriorating. Anyway, I guess he feels that it’s not worth his time trying to help people here anymore since there’s so much crap and for the time being is not posting. Who can blame him? I’m guilty from time to time as are most of us. There are very few members that post useful information on a consistent basis. (this post names a few of them)
Anyway, if the forum continues to deteriorate, the good posters will stop posting here. Here are a few suggestions that I think might make this a better forum:

1. Think before you post. Usually when I post crap it’s because I did not carefully read the OP carefully or I did not think long before answering.
2. Stop being so arrogant…Many of us make bold statements as if they are facts. Often times the advice is ignorant and simply wrong. There are very few of us that are smart enough or experienced enough or solid enough players to be so bold. And often times it’s a matter of opinion. Don’t pretend you know everything.
3. Remember what forum you are in and respect that! The seasoned players don’t want to read a catchy title and open your post only to find out it’s a bad beat story about some donk in a 1-2 NLHE game. There are other forums for that.
4. Make your posts readable. Never post the hand history from online when it’s pretty easy to use the hand converter.

Okay, that’s what jumps out at me. Please feel free to add others. I have probably been guilty of all of the above but will try to improve the level of my posts in the future.

Oh, and sorry if you found this post gay...I was bored and figured it needed to be said.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: is this forum going to hell?

AMEN.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:49 PM

just a question that would apply to myself and i imagine many others. i post 2/4 party 6 max on this forum, and i feel the level of play for the most part is good enough that it belongs here. u mentioned the donk with the 1/2 nl hand posting and i dont wanna be that guy. does 2/4 nl with 100 bb's belong here? lemme know.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 PM

this forum going to hell?
HELL YES.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:05 PM

My personal view is that you should have NL25, NL50, NL100, NL200, NL400 at SSNL and NL600, NL1K, NL2K and higher at MHNL. Seems to me like the 400 plays a lot more like the 100 than like the 1K.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 PM

I too have had suspicions that the this forum is going downhill as well. While I have posted more in the last two weeks than I ever have, I am realtively inexperienced and feel like my contribution is minimal, particularly taken in light in some of the excellent posters that have taken time to share their thoughts in the past. To be honest, these days I spend more time reading users old posts than any of the new stuff. One thing I know will improve the forum is removing ones ego from his/her post. As OP suggests, if we treated out posts as an oppurtunity to exchange ideas in the hope of reasoning a better, or more optimal approach to a situation instead of a ego war about who is right, we all would benefit. Admittedly, a dialogue predicated on the idea that ones post is not absolutely correct may be counterintuitive to many of us (I will be the first to admit I am guilty of this line of thought); however, if we can accept we have much to learn from each other and through discourse we can improve our game, I think we could be on the path to improving the forum. Just my thoughts....i am probably rambling, i feel like i do that often...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM

I think it's more about the quality of the question than the level of the play. The purpose of the higher limit forum is to filter the basic begginer questions. I think the details are also very important and posts with no opponnent information and missing peranent information generally suck. I think the 600NLHE game is definitely on the borderline but if it's a quality post i certainly don't mind reading it...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HELL YES.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is precisely the type of post we should be avoiding IMO. I see nothing positive here; in fact, there is no content at all. If this is what you beleive, fine. Why dont you share your opinion of why you beleive this and what you feel can be done to remedy the situation?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELL YES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is precisely the type of post we should be avoiding IMO. I see nothing positive here; in fact, there is no content at all. If this is what you beleive, fine. Why dont you share your opinion of why you beleive this and what you feel can be done to remedy the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, i kinda found FV's post funny. Funny posts don't need content and there is certainly a place for them on the forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM

Hi aggie,

Good Post. We need this every once in a while. I do think that we had another post like this just over a year ago, leading up to WSOP 04. This time of year brings in a lot of folks, and many won't stay after the fever subsides. This is not to say that established posters aren't part of the problem as well, though, so I for my part will carefully choose what I post.

Cero