Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:11 PM

Default My bustout hand in the WSOP main event (x-post)

I'd like to get your opinions on this one.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: My bustout hand in the WSOP main event (x-post)

c/r flop and continue like u have the nuts. set and 2 pr aren't realistic on a flop of k-q-7 w/no preflop raises.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Based on what both the other posters in the x-post and you said, this is a much easier problem on the flop than they are making it out to be. You said villain bets any 2 75% of the time. He will most likely bet if both blinds check and he is other one left. You are most likely a favorite at this point so you want to be aggressive now. You do a simple check/raise. You check he bets 900 into the 900 pot, you c/r to 2700 and he has to fold. You've just won 1200 early in the tournament in addition to your 300 BB back that wasn't really yours anymore. Just grind away at em.

EDIT: I'm very drunk right now/
Old 07-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Also, after the hand if you are comfortable and ready to take command of your table I think this would be a great point to do so. I would show your hand if he mucks, than start to get involved in more pots and contesting this villain chip leader, you could probably steal 5-10K of his money through his steals after a couple of hours of heads up play.

EDIT: I'm Very high right now.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 PM

Aren't you a little worried that the CO may sense a bluff and reraise a flop c/r? Given the action, stack sizes, the board, and the fact that hero is in the BB, I think a good player will push on a c/r by the BB with a quite a few hands here.

C/r is a good play, but in this situation I'd be a little worried that the CO has put you on a steal and will end up moving you off a big draw with little to nothing.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:48 AM

co is not a good player, he's been labeled a donkey. donkies are calling stations, not playmakers.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 AM

Fim is generally pretty on and I agree with him once again.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Who called CO a donkey?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 PM

I can't add anything here except to say that I think you played it pretty well.

The difference between a raise of $3000 and $4000 is pretty negligable. Though, if you were planning on putting all chips in anyways, I'd say that the bigger bet is probably better simply due to a slightly slightly higher FE.

It does suck though, at a tournament like this, to be faced with a likely coin flip. You've got to decide right then and there if you want to play weak from there on out to enjoy being there and last a bit... and hope to get very very very very lucky and last long enough to actually play poker. Versus snagging every slightly +EV chance you get, like here, even if it means busting out early, in order to try to make the money. Glad you seemed to have a good time.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:23 AM

Why would CO sense a bluff? All you did was c/r the flop. Do you really think CO is gonna put half his stack into this pot on a stone-cold bluff? CO isn't God, I don't think, unless it was left out of the thread description.

That being said, I think c/ring the flop for pot amount is like, the worst play possible. What in the hell do you do when he calls and the turn blanks? Fim's idea of c/ring all-in on the flop isn't bad, but I don't know how much folding equity you actually have. The problem is that everyone knows this is a doyle move and people are much more likely to call it nowadays. I might lead the flop and expect him to raise a legitimate/decent hand. If he raises, great. If he calls, it seems really likely you can pick up the pot on fourth with a second bet.

But again c/ring all-in isn't very bad either, just depends if you think he'll call or not. check-calling and c/ring pot on flop are worst options. I am looking to 1) play this aggressively, since you have a very good hand, 2) not put myself in extremely awkward positions.