Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 AM

Default 2/4 party nl 6 max - 200+ bb\'s

im 4 tabling, killing 3 of my 4 tables, and don't have a solid read as there is so much going on, and my computer just crashed eliminating all my notes and pt stats. anyways...

i have about 1000 utg, villain has 800 in the bb.

i limp for $4 with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. cutoff raises to 10. villain calls. i call.

flop(30) [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].
bb checks, i check, cutoff bets pot (30), villain min raises to 60. i make it 180 straight. cutoff folds, villain calls.

turn (420) [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
villain checks.

you're move? is this a scary card at all? is there any merit to keeping this pot small, fearing a higher set, or a hand like 35? i can't see villain smooth calling here with just a flush or straight draw. a straight flush draw i suppose is a possibility (although i would not make that call with a oesfd). simply, the smooth call set off alarm bells, esp after his minraise. let me know your line, villain has approx 600 left and you have him covered. thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: 2/4 party nl 6 max - 200+ bb\'s

Tough hand. Check minraise on this flop is probably a set, because I can't see him playing a strong draw this way. I suppose it could be AA/KK/QQ that was slowplayed PF but I think he's probably getting away from those after you're raise.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM

Hey Bobby. If he has a bigger house, you're not getting away from cheap as you would be incorrect to do so. I would actually check behind on the turn here. If he's actually on a flush draw you want him to get there. If he has something like A9 or 1010 - AA you want him to think he's maybe good while actually only drawing to 2 outs. If he's got you out housed you're screwed either way so the free card doesn't matter. I think a big bet here and he's probably gone with the above mentioned hands. You might also induce a bluff on the river if the club doesn't hit as he might actually put you on a big draw that missed. I would expect him to have an overpair here more times than not.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM

I think id check behind. The pot is sufficiently big that one decent bet and hes allin so you dont need bets to go in on both turn and river. There's some chance he has a big draw and might get there on the river but cant call your turn bet. As for your comment regarding not calling with oesfd, villian was calling 120 more into 300, hes not folding for that. (Edit: and some people are dumb enough not to push)

Edit#2: And if he does have a made hand he obviously expects you to bet here for him.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:38 AM

Default important correction

flop was actually [7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

the turn paired the 7 - [7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

i am obviously recounting this by memory. this makes the oesfd possible.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a scary card at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Name a hand that you were beating on the flop and are now behind on the turn. Now name another. I come up with 53 and 95. Would you call a raise with either of these preflop? Doubtful. Would you check-minraise the flop with these? Maybe check-raise, but I'd make it a significant raise when I have a hand that is scared of a lot in future streets.

The turn card changed nothing here.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM

what is your plan for the rest of the hand then?