Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Min betting and min raising.

not against someone who has somewhat of a clue
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM

One of the most important note-taking I have against online players is...

min-raise preflop =....
min-raise postflop =.... CR =....
min-bet postflop =....

and then I usually try to write down what they do in response to a raise of their min-bets, etc. and go from there. This is very +EV to take these notes
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 PM

I like that idea and will start using it today. Info like this is the reason I'm a member of 2+2. Can't thank you enough for sharing this.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In general. .

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES

[/ QUOTE ]FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that the answer to all three of those questions are yes, yes, and yes. Minbets are morons who are trying to see if they can take down a $15 pot with a $4 bet. It's often done by people with bottom pair, crap kicker, or perhaps worse.

Minraises are generally done with strong hands, to try to lure just a bit more money out of a person.

Obviously I'm generalizing BIG TIME, but so was the original question. In the long run, I think all three of your points are +EV.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:00 PM

Points 1 and 2 are clearly "no". If you look at the original question the poster asks if it would be +EV to ALWAYS put in a raise to min raises pre flop and min bets post flop. Unless you are playing with a bunch of ADD kids eventually someone will catch on.

Also even if playing with a bunch of unknowns I don't think players who min raise their suited connectors and pocket pairs pre flop are going to fold enough times to your pre flop re raise to make it a worthwhile play, unless you are a lot better postflop than them and can make them throw away the best hand a certain percentage of the times you do take it to flop.

Point 3 is debatable and completely player dependent. I've found that people fear the min raise too much, but maybe that's just the case in the games I play. It seems like people min raise more to "see where they are at" than do sweeten a big pot with a big hand.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM

i will answer this in general. as everyone said, stuff's obviously opp dependent.

Preflop minraises tend to be weak. So if you raise big-ish, you should take it down. this is doubly true of LP minraises.

postflop minbets tend to be weak, especially on draw heavy board. this is usually someone either trying to buy the pot cheap or get the draw cheap. one exception is a thinking player who may be trying to induce a raise. another exception is on a late st, like the river, when someone is blockbetting a showdownable hand. but if they're doing this, chances are their blockbet is larger than the minimum. reasonable observation should indicate what your opp is capable of.

postflop minraises. this is different, IMO. It depends on how much strength you have shown. If you have shown strength, say raising prefl and then betting the flop, and you get minraised, i'm usually not surprised to be shown a set. especially if they lead hard into you on the next st.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Would you automatically show a profit if you:

1) Min-raised the PF raiser with any 2 on the flop and potted the turn -

maybe...