Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Andathar #1

That's about what I do, depending on position 3-4 x BB raise if I'm the first raiser with AK preflop in the $33s.

Do you do anything different with say, JJ+? In the $33s facing the same opponants over and over is barely an issue, but in the $109s do you worry about people getting a read on your hand from your raise amount, especially if you are at a table with a lot of regulars?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Jman #2

I'm not wild about this one. I agree that your continuation is a shade weak. I'm more of a 2/3 man myself though I sometimes move down to 1/2. The minraise out of my opponent worries me pretty substantially. I think if you're going to call that minraise you need to have a plan for what to do with the rest of the hand, because unless I have a read to the contrary, I'm generally reading that flop bet as an effort to string me along. I also bet something more like 200 on the river, something more conventional looking. The 100 looks too small to be a bluff to me if I'm in villain's shoes, and it also looks awfully small for a value bet.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Jman #2

Its a fine play.

I might change it up and bet the turn to really find out if I'm real ahead or real behind.

If seemingly behind I 'may' let go, but by checking the turn, I gain little information about if I should call a big river bet.
If I seem ahead, then I can bet the turn and the river and extract more chips, than beting just one street.

In case you think that by showing weakness on the turn, a big hand(set of jacks) might come out betting soft on the river and give you a cheap showdown, its a valid thought.

But could you fold to raise on the turn. If not, then good play. If yes, then still a good play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Duh!

Overall it seems a pretty solid play
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Phoenix # 1

Here's a hand that I butchered from start to finish. I submit it for destruction. My thoughts preflop: didn't want to steal the small pot, and didn't want to play a big pot out of position (didn't get my wish). Second guessing my limp now though. My thoughts on the flop: Pot sized bet, but I had a feeling it was not enough. My thoughts on the turn: why did it have to be the king of clubs? My redraw to the ace high flush and chance of filling up meant that I couldn't let it go, but I was unsure how to play it when I'm almost certainly drawing, first to act among 4 players, so I continued to butcher it.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1535)
Hero (t655)
BB (t1105)
UTG (t780)
UTG+1 (t215)
MP1 (t1205)
MP2 (t1625)
CO (t880)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, BB calls t75, MP1 calls t75, Button calls t75.

Turn: (t357.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets t125, BB calls t125, MP1 calls t125, button is all-in (t1445), Hero is all-in (t440)
Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Phoenix # 1

This doesn't seem terrible to me. I probably don't limp in from the SB like that PF, but I don't think I play it differently other than that. The only hands that have you drawing slim are K7 (very unlikely) and KT (somewhat unlikely). As you point out, you've still got something like 17 outs against a flush, which is button's most likely holding (maybe he's doing this with KQ as well) so you're definitely getting odds to call at that point. Since you've got a big hand now with redraws to even better hands, you can't be too upset getting your money in the middle, and it's not like pushing is going to do anything to solve your problems here.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: *Official* Big Slick Thread

I was gonna start another thread, but since this is the official Big Slick Thread...

In what situations at a full table is reraisuing with Slick a good strategy? It's a hand I will almost always raise with but hardly ever reraised with. Am I correct in this thinking?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: uphigh #1

[ QUOTE ]
Is this weak?

9 players. Level 2 (bb t30), Party 30+3

Hero is UTG+1 with 850 chips.

UTG calls
Hero (As Ks) bets t90
folds to CO who calls
SB raises to t285 (no real reads)
BB,UTG folds
Hero folds(with much pain)
CO folds.

The reason its bugging me, is that villian continued his raising spree and got busted soon after.

The reason I folded is that in the case he had AA or KK, I was pretty dead. And I did not want to reraise and be pot commited.

In case he had anything else, he would likely not pay me off if I hit(mebbe he wud in a few cases)
And if I missed, it is in most cases a fold on the flop for me.

So why should I pay even money, when most likely I can only see 3 cards where I'm just 33% to hit.

Its funny how a reraise can put you on the backfoot, even with a solid hand.

Feedback is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the absence of a read, this is the correct line with AK. You raise with it, and if a rational player comes back over the top of you, they are going to have AK or a pair virtually all the time. They probably don't have AA or KK, of course, since you hold an A and a K. If they haven't raised enough, you might be able to call and try to hit, but you should virtually never reraise unless you're prepared to race, because you've usually got the bad end of a coinflip.

In your hand, I suggest raising to $125 or $150 since you have a limper (a pot sized bet would be $135). This makes it even easier to get away from the hand when you get reraised significantly.

[ QUOTE ]
so why should I pay even money, when most likely I can only see 3 cards where I'm just 33% to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this question, by the way, is implied odds. Most bad players hate to give up on big holdings and can be tricked easily, so you can make a slightly bad call because you feel confident you''l take his stack or double-up if you catch. For example, say he has QQ and he raised to $285 after you raised to $135. You call and the flop comes K-x-x. If he bets out, you can just call and feign weakness. If he checks, you can check behind and convince him you didn't make a pair of Kings. For a lot of bad players, esp. at lower levels, once they think they're reading you for being weak, AND then they look at their o-so-pretty JJ or QQ, they get very itchy trigger fingers and their chips magically get to the middle.

--Zen
Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: uphigh #1

The reason I make a smallish raie, is I want to control the pot-size so early in the tournament.
A bigger raise makes a continuation bet harder to make, and also involvs me more deeply into the pot.
Smallish raise is easier to give up on the flop.
(Now maybe this thinking is weak)

And yes I do know the itchy finger syndrome. I ued to have it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: *Official* Big Slick Thread

[ QUOTE ]

In what situations at a full table is reraisuing with Slick a good strategy? It's a hand I will almost always raise with but hardly ever reraised with. Am I correct in this thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, kinda. I used to reraise too much with AK. A lot of it comes down to where you are gonna be post flop.

You don't wanna end up with 1/4-1/3 of your stack in the pot and then have to decide whether or not to take a shot at the pot when you whiff on the flop.

Keep that in mind when deciding to reraise or not, or deciding on how much to raise.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Degen # 1

[ QUOTE ]
I know you aren't actually looking for advice here, but I would raise more preflop. Your opponents are giving up a lot by calling the larger raise, which they often will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not a fan of this large raise. I really don't like open raising to 95 on 10-15 blinds.