Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Why winning players really win.

I think alot people are just to darn lazy to bother to read a book. Iv spoken to many players online and suggested a book when they complain about getting hammerd once again but 90% of them are simply not interested they just cant be botherd to read a book and would rather just continue to play poorly and whine about it.

Iv had responces like BOOKS! LOL books are crap there is no winning system. Anybody whos reads the same book knows how to be you, Blah blah blah, Your plays like an ed miller novel... Blah, blah balh...

You know trying to mock me

"who needs a Poker book id rather learn to play for real"

Some of the crap iv herd is unreal, at the end of the day your better off just leaving them too it..
Old 03-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well, as for me ... I am afraid of no player. Absolutely, NO ONE. Not a single player intimidates me. It's just that my current game is quite pathetic in the nth degree ... <g>
This is why you are losing. You are becoming a calling station, or a maniac, because you "don't fear anyone." If people are betting, they are representing a good hand. Put the ego away.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM

I think this topic was pretty well covered in Rounders (WRITTEN BY THE GUYS THAT RIGHT THE HIT SHOW: TILT! ON ESPN!)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM

I guarantee if you had John Juanda, Phil Ivey, or Howard Lederer staring you down while you are thinking about calling off your stack holding top pair, you'd be intimidated.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot people are just to darn lazy to bother to read a book. Iv spoken to many players online and suggested a book when they complain about getting hammerd once again but 90% of them are simply not interested they just cant be botherd to read a book and would rather just continue to play poorly and whine about it.

Iv had responces like BOOKS! LOL books are crap there is no winning system.

Some of the crap iv herd is unreal, at the end of the day your better off just leaving them too it..

[/ QUOTE ]

I play live on Saturdays at our brand new cardroom...every time I play I'm just the guy who hangs out for a few hours playing cards. I don't act like the shark and am pretty quiet around people I hardly know. Before dealing in, I'll ask questions of those around me about their lives, trying to make friends and gain information before we start.

Gentleman (gambler cool guy) last Saturday called my pre-flop raise cold (I was first to act with TT). Dealer said, "You're in?"

He said, "Of course, I don't care what he has, it's the right play." Three players called, SB folded, BB called the raise.

Flop came JJ3. Checked to me, I bet, he raised, everyone called. The turn came a 7. SB bet, BB bet, I folded (because the other player's raise didn't sit well - something was up) - the other players went to showdown with his hand and he turned over J3o.

"See...that hand? It was the right thing to do...the books are wrong."

He won later with 74o. (7 on the flop, 7 on the river.) He was up for the session I played with him and began a speech how those books that teach people to play poker are written by players too broke to play.

If the WSOP has an Omaha event, he said he'll be there. Have fun!

PB
Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 PM

[Crafty] Well, as for me ... I am afraid of no player. Absolutely, NO ONE. Not a single player intimidates me. It's just that my current game is quite pathetic in the nth degree ... <g> [/Quote]

[Spekkio]This is why you are losing. You are becoming a calling station, or a maniac, because you "don't fear anyone." If people are betting, they are representing a good hand. Put the ego away."

I thank you for this advice. Didn't realize my mistake(s).

Craftyandsy
Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 PM

[el_grande]I guarantee if you had John Juanda, Phil Ivey, or Howard Lederer staring you down while you are thinking about calling off your stack holding top pair, you'd be intimidated."

Well, another individual and you have opened my eyes and provided me with some very sage advice. I thank both of you for forcing me to realize that I need to check my ego at the door. I am open to more suggestions ...

Craftyandsly
Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am open to more suggestions ...

Craftyandsly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need a better audience.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:17 AM

[jtr]I think you need a better audience."

Are you saying that the opinions, I have received here, are not worth that much, or are you really saying something else? please advise ...

Craftyand sly
Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 AM

You're being crafty and sly again, aren't you?

OK, I'll stop all attempts at cleverness and just be straight with you. I made the "better audience" comment as I think it's slightly weird that several posters took you to task for your "I fear no-one" line when in fact that looked to me like a jokey part of an overall very humble post about how you've still got a lot of work to do on your game. I thought you were saying "I fear nobody because I am so much a beginner at poker that it really doesn't matter how skilled or unskilled my opponents are, they will probably take my money anyway."

Given my interpretation of your original post, it just seemed that your audience (i.e., readers of this forum) were missing the point in chastising you for supposed arrogance when you were already pretty much the humblest guy in town.

Explained?