Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Party 25NL How much does earn rate increase as stack size increases?

This is just a rough guess, but it seems about right to me.

Suppose you earn 8 BB/100 over 30,000 hands at Party 25NL. I think your earn breaks down as follows.

With 25 stack 4 BB/100

With 50 stack 8 BB/100

With 100 stack 12 BB/100

For two reasons:

1. You can play more hands as the implied odds increase.

2. The mistakes other decent stacks make are now increased in magnitude.

This probably sounds elementary to some, but I think it has some very important implications to consider as far as session length and table jumping are concerned.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Party 25NL How much does earn rate increase as stack size increases?

It doesn't make any sense at all for your winrate to double if your stack size doubles. You think that suddenly every pot you win will be twice as big?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Party 25NL How much does earn rate increase as stack size increases?

I noticed an increase in my winrate when I moved from 50bb to 100bb stacks, however, I think you are over estimating the increase. Your implied odds go up with the 100bb stacks.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Party 25NL How much does earn rate increase as stack size increase

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't make any sense at all for your winrate to double if your stack size doubles. You think that suddenly every pot you win will be twice as big?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I don't think every pot will be twice as large.

I think it's a combination of being able to play more hands with increased flexibility since you have a stack. Party 25 with your original buyin really leaves you handcuffed in many situations and doesn't leave much room to manuever. It seems you are stuck playing a very limited number of starters in a very routine fashion with just a 25 stack.

FWIW, I would never suggest that one's earn would double in stars $25 buyin game with a $50 stack. Party25 is a special creature.

Is there any way to filter this info out of PT?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 AM

A deeper stack only helps in pots when there are other deepstacks. A 100bb stack doesnt help when everyone else has 50bb.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:17 AM

Understood, but I often see a couple 100 stacks at 25 the same 25 tables. And the best part is they are usually awful LAG's who've been running well, some of the easiest prey out there, IMO.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:15 AM

You also need to factor in that smaller stacks get more action

when I tried a short stack all in experiment a while back (buying in with 40% stacks size on PS and pushing all-in with any AA,KK,QQ or AK pre-flop I got called a full 40% of the time, usually with junk.

Folks assume short stacks are losing and or desperate players.

Last week I was +19BB/100 on the UB $50 tables ($100 buy-in). I bought in for $25 whilst I got GT+ stats up and then up to $50 if I liked the look of the table. (If I didn't like the look of it I did one round and left). I think only once did I bother to buy-in at max.

I think this is mainly because I am feeling out the new limit though (I have just come from the Party $25's where I always buy in for $25 - $100 buy-ins seem quite a jump)