Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Default AQs on king high flop

This is more of a general question on what lines you guys typically use when a flop misses you holding AQ and is king high. Here is the hand that prompted the question:

Live $4/8 game. Fairly loose, I'd say average of about 4-5 players see a flop if it's unraised preflop. I pick up AsQs in the small blind. 2 (maybe 3?) limpers to me, I raise, BB and limpers call. Flop comes king high, rainbow, and no real straight draws. I don't recall if there was a spade (I wouldn't think it would matter too much in this instance, please point out if it does though). People rarely fold to a flop bet in this game, so I elected to check being first to act.

BB then bets, and it's folded to me (unusual instance that everyone folds to a single bet in this game). BB was loose (and bad) and would bet a lot of hands here, even into 3 people. However, I thought the likelihood of a king was pretty high (since he bet with still 2 to act), and being OOP with only 1 overcard I folded. The fold bothers me a little, particularly with my read. Would folding be bad against a better player who (probably) wouldn't bet anything less than a king into 3 people? Should I have led out? And, in this instance, should I have raised the loose player or just called -- or is the fold okay? I thought the situation was very marginal considering I was OOP with only one overcard.

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: AQs on king high flop

You have 3 "clean" outs, and you're OOP, with no draws for him to be betting?

I fold this like 99% of the time.

If you had 2 overs instead of 1, maybe there could be some sort of change, but I don't want to go to the turn and see a Q and end up paying off a K (not likely since he probably won't value bet, but you get my point.)

If he bets into you when you're IP, then it's more interesting, but not OOP.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: AQs on king high flop

Thanks for the reply. I felt like it was okay, but was unsure if a lot of other players bet out in this instance, or check since it's a 4 way pot and a terrible flop. Check/folding just seemed a little "weak" to me when a known bad player is doing the betting and I raised preflop. I'm probably just used to making a continuation bet here in NL though.