Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Why push any 2?

From an ICM POV, the 2nd and 3rd biggest stacks are only margianlly +EV to call Giga's all-in with AKo. AQo here is a pretty clear fold for both. So these guys have to have very tight calling standards if they understand the game. They're just not that big of a favorites over Giga's likely live "any two" cards without a decent pair. Considering this, those two stacks can be put on pretty high calling standards. Putting them on tightest setting in SGA and the SB on Loose yields a positive for going all in on any two for Giga. Hence his push is correct (or not too far off) if the others know what they're doing and are willing to lay down seemingly premium hands.

If you change the short stack's chips to even worse desparation, like 600 and give BB 3310 and the button 2650, it's a huge mistake for them from an EV standpoint to call with any non-pair and no pairs below 99. That leaves only TT-AA that they can call with a positive EV. So UTG big stack is correct to push any two even more so here even though the other two stacks are much closer to him and can cripple him. Fold equity and the Gap are at their strongest at this stage. It's only correct for them to call here with a bigger pair. That's it. And you have no fear of the small stack calling, cause he can't really hurt you too much anyway.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Of course benno is calling with more than just AA. There is actually almost no sit and go situation in which you should ever expect your opponent to call with only AA.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AQo here is a pretty clear fold for both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't fold AQ here if there was a gun to my head.

-Jason
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 PM

I believe this is a play based on his read of the chips solely. Gigabet has approx. 1,000 more chips than the average. Meaning that he has 1,000 chips that are not earning any equity. By pushing any two into a player (SB) that (after posting) has a figure very near the "extra" or "wasted" chips that Giga has, he almost HAS to make this play.

He would expect the BB to fold as BB only has $350 in "non-equity" chips, so he can't call w/out a monster.

If SB and BB folds, you can expect more pushing from Gigabet as he will now have $1500 or so in chips that are wasting away.

Get called and lose, his stack is still within $600 or so of the average and can easily be made up with a steal, decent hand from the button, etc.

Most times, playing the chips are as effective (or more so) than playing the cards or the players. While Giga didn't win the hand, he lost almost nothing in terms of average stack and put his "wasted" chips into play.

There are other future benefits to making this play, but it's a secret that I don't want to reveal just yet.....

I'm out for a week or so. Y'all will have to get your retail quality humor (at Wholesale Prices) elsewhere. Good luck at the tables!

SchlackaMacka

Hi Jason,

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fold AQ here if there was a gun to my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

Dunno where eMark is getting his numbers....cause its not plus EV from that position with any two cards. Its not even close.

Pitcher

I dont push any 2 there either...
Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 AM

You're *the* pitcher!!!!

Jesus....I had no idea you even played STTs anymore.

Yes, I also know that 99.99999% of the posters on this forum will think I'm insane for posting this. But, I happen to be quite drunk now and I don't care, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Wow.....so.....I'm gonna pm you with questions at some point.

Sorry in advance, [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Luminous
Old 06-25-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i do, and i would love to hear solid reasoning as to why i shouldnt. holla
Old 06-25-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause you never suckout. Holla.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause you never suckout. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

well yes, this is true, but even if i never suckout ill still steal them blinds sometimes. holla