Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: I don\'t Have a Problem with a Good Person Going to Hell

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ is the only truly good and loving man who ever existed. When we repent of our sin and put our faith in Christ, his righteousness is reckoned to our account. We are counted righteous only then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know many good and loving people, some of them in positions of power. The level of there compassion and influence is of course no where near that of where the the Almighty's is supposed to be. Just the same, the wise, compassionate, understanding leaders that I know would never sentence a man to eternal pain and suffering for simply not being able (notice I'm declining to use any form of the word choice) to believe in ghosts.

I'm aware that the my last word trivializes the faith but I'm attempting to make a point, my apologies to anyone who is offended by it.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great question. The finite sin was committed against an infinitly righteous God therefore deserving infinite punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this just? By this logic, someone who commits a misdemeanor against a poor man should owe him $10 in settlement, and the same misdmeanor committed against Bill Gates should cost the defendant hundreds of millions.

Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ is the only truly good and loving man who ever existed. When we repent of our sin and put our faith in Christ, his righteousness is reckoned to our account. We are counted righteous only then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know many good and loving people, some of them in positions of power. The level of there compassion and influence is of course no where near that of where the the Almighty's is supposed to be. Just the same, the wise, compassionate, understanding leaders that I know would never sentence a man to eternal pain and suffering for simply not being able (notice I'm declining to use any form of the word choice) to believe in ghosts.

I'm aware that the my last word trivializes the faith but I'm attempting to make a point, my apologies to anyone who is offended by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the point of believers, apparently, is that none of these people that you or I consider "good" are actually good. They all fall short of the true goodness embodied by Christ. The fact that he had perfect genetics isn't his fault or ours but we'd better accept him into our hearts in order to gain salvation for our "sins."
The fact that none of us have ever MET this perfect human is beside the point. Just accept that we suck and need this person's (whom we've never met)forgiveness.
I guess I better prepare myself for eternal damnation (sweat forming on brow).
Needless to say, I'm not too worried about it. I'm more worried about the prospect of eternal nothingness but whatever.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you have a God who is going to punish millions of millions of good people WORSE than what Hitler did to people in the Holocaust. Are you going to bow and submit before that God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

You've really been mislead about God's nature, desires, and wishes for us.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now you have a God who is going to punish millions of millions of good people WORSE than what Hitler did to people in the Holocaust. Are you going to bow and submit before that God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

You've really been mislead about God's nature, desires, and wishes for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain where I have been misinformed.
1. If you don't accept Christ as your savior you will go to hell.
2. Even if you are a "good" person, that is do good works, are loving, do the same things as a good Christian--EXCEPT you don't believe in Jesus-- you will still go to hell.
3. Hell is eternal damnation and torture. This clearly is worse than what Hitler could do to anyone.
4. This means that people whom I would consider to be "good" are being tortured eternally in ways that are worse than I can imagine.
5. The god I am being told of in these scenarios is worse than Hitler.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain where I have been misinformed.

[/ QUOTE ]

From here down.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Hell is eternal damnation and torture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell is being separated from God for eternity. By our own choice by the way. If someone chooses not to believe in Him, how is He torturing them?

[ QUOTE ]
4. This means that people whom I would consider to be "good" are being tortured eternally in ways that are worse than I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to feel the same way. That doesn't mean it's correct, what I've found is most people have a false view of God, The Bible, and His judgement. All it takes is some time studying scripture, and all this is easily cleared up.

Are you up for that?? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 04:49 PM

How do you know your view is correct? I've studied the Bible a great deal in my life, and what you say makes no sense at all to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know your view is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know your view is correct?

[ QUOTE ]
I've studied the Bible a great deal in my life, and what you say makes no sense at all to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know The Bible was that difficult to understand especially if "you've studied it a great deal".

Which part makes no sense?

Unless you're talking about the Klingon bible that thing is like whoa! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:12 PM

Here's one. Why do so many of Paul's writings directly contradict Jesus? My feeling is most protestants today follow the writings of Saul of Tarsus as opposed to the words of Jesus of Nazareth.

IMO, Paul was a revisionist who changed Jesus' meaning to suit his own world view.

Edit: see this
Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM

You stated

[ QUOTE ]
I've studied the Bible a great deal in my life, and what you say makes no sense at all to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked

[ QUOTE ]
Which part makes no sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning my statements- not what the Bible says.

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: see this

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what you mean by studying the Bible a great deal then I understand why your confused. Try reading 2 verses before, and after each passage, and that should help the context a bit.