Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: New to smoking, a few q\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I just learned how to smoke (21 years old). I absolutely LOVE the buzz I get from smoking, but I hear that if you smoke too often you lose the buzz (and will get addicted to smoking). I have no intention of getting addicted; I'm pretty sure I can control myself. What frequency can I smoke and still expect to get a buzz everytime I smoke?

If it was only 1 cigarette per week, I'd be fine with that. But the last thing I want to do is get addicted and/or lose the buzz I get from smoking. Also, what brands do you guys like for casual smoking? I've only tried marlbro red medium 100s (or something like that) and some sort of Swisher Sweets.

Also, let's say I actually stick to only smoking once every other day or something, how unhealthy is this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You'll develop a tolerance pretty quick, eventually you will lose the buzz, and get a sense of "satisfaction" or impact from smoking. No buzz, unless you consume faily large amount of nicotine, such as from a big cigar or dipping.

2. I think that in general you can smoke 1-3 cigs a week without getting addicted, addiction to smoking has a large psychological element. You'll gradually lose your sense of fine taste if you become a regular smoker.

3. What to smoke is the eternal question? if you like cigarettes, The major National brands are all good, I personally think American Spirit is the best of the US packaged cigarettes. There are some very good roll-your-own tobacco's around these days.

Of course if you really like cigarette's try Djarum Special's, clove cigarette's are just plain the best smoking experience around IMHO.

Cigar's are fun, of the cheap drugstore cigar's I like Backwoods Black (unlike alot of folks I don't mind flavored tobacco.) Of real cigar's H Upmann, or Zino Davidoff. Macanudo's are a good mild cigar for the starting smoker.

Pipes are probably the most interesting though.

4. It's a very unhealthy habit, in every possible way smoking is bad for you. Nonsmoker's really don't like smokers, and in general people will think you are an idiot for smoking, and they will be right. Omni and Eclipse are the only two "Reduced Harm" cigarette's on the market. Both of them are fascinating products, but rather rare.

If your looking for the nicotine buzz, snuff/chew is much safer than any form of smoking tobacco.

[/ QUOTE ]
finally, an objective, informative, and non-judgmental post. instead of the finger-wagging, "you'll get addicted," "smoking will kill you" idiocy that's been going on.

fwiw, i've smoked less than a carton of cigarettes in my whole life, my mom smokes and i've been urging her to quit for years, i would not date a girl who smokes, and i'm glad nyc passed the law prohibiting smoking in bars. all that being said, i enjoyed smoking! the enjoyment was outweighed by the health risks, the bad smell, the general nastiness of the habit, so i stopped. but who am i to tell anyone else that they can't decide otherwise? i suppose all you just-say-no nits also want to reinstate prohibition (alcohol will kill your liver and brain cells; alcoholism destroys families and lives)? do you ever eat red meat? i hear that's bad for you too. have you ever been in a car and not fastened your seatbelt? do you stay inside a frickin' bubble to protect you from all the microbes surrounding you? sheesh.

if the OP wants to be a casual smoker, he should go ahead. if he thinks he can do it in moderation and has the self-discipline not to get addicted, he knows better than we do whether or not that's true. i've told him that in my own experience it can certainly be done and wasn't at all a big deal. and if he does get addicted, guess what, it's his life, he can do whatever he wants with it.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so if someone was seeking approval from his peers wouldn't he choose NOT TO SMOKE?

[/ QUOTE ]
This argument is so obviously flawed on so many levels that it's not even worth a response. Convince me how knowingly poisoning yourself "because you're a social smoker" is NOT a symptom of blatant conformity.

[/ QUOTE ]

His point was that smokers are pretty reviled by a most of the population, and it has even become acceptable to openly heckle them for smoking. It turns more people away than it turns on. This is true.

Your point is that social smokers smoker to be a part of a group, which is also true, as it becomes an us vs. them thing, and you can become part of a smoking circle.

You're overlooking that people who smoke socially don't necessarily smoke ONLY as a social activity. They may enjoy the taste/smell of tobacco (alone, in combination with beer, meat, etc), or may like the effect a rare dose of nicotine has on them.

Even smoking purely as a social activity is not always "blatant conformity." I have friends who were my friends before I ever had smoked a single cigarette. They were no more or less accepting of me then as they are now. And I certainly don't smoke with them to gain their acceptance or approval. It's because I enjoy a cigarette now and then, but not enough to buy a pack myself -- so the main opportunity to smoke is when in a social situation with friends who are smokers.

I'm sure there are plenty of social smokers who are suffering from blatant conformity as you are saying, but to say all social smoking is a form of balatant conformity is stupid, because it's not true.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so if someone was seeking approval from his peers wouldn't he choose NOT TO SMOKE?

[/ QUOTE ]
This argument is so obviously flawed on so many levels that it's not even worth a response. Convince me how knowingly poisoning yourself "because you're a social smoker" is NOT a symptom of blatant conformity.

[/ QUOTE ]
the same way going out and grabbing a beer with your buddies (thereby knowingly poisoning yourself) makes you a conformist with a weak personality i guess. i smoked cuz i enjoyed it. i stopped cuz i decided my enjoyment of it didn't override other concerns. how hard is that to understand? and did i suddenly become a non-conformist with a strong personality the instant i finished my last cigarette?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whatever, just dont come bitchin in two years when your hooked on something that you had absolutely no good reason to start

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that I do in fact get hooked on cigarettes from casual smoking, why would I come complaining when my entire point is that it's my own responsibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a point ill accept
Old 09-21-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I just learned how to smoke (21 years old). I absolutely LOVE the buzz I get from smoking, but I hear that if you smoke too often you lose the buzz (and will get addicted to smoking). I have no intention of getting addicted; I'm pretty sure I can control myself. What frequency can I smoke and still expect to get a buzz everytime I smoke?

If it was only 1 cigarette per week, I'd be fine with that. But the last thing I want to do is get addicted and/or lose the buzz I get from smoking. Also, what brands do you guys like for casual smoking? I've only tried marlbro red medium 100s (or something like that) and some sort of Swisher Sweets.

Also, let's say I actually stick to only smoking once every other day or something, how unhealthy is this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start out smoking whatever sorority girl cigarettes you started smoking in a pathetic attempt to get laid by a drunk girl who smoked.

When those stop giving you the high you crave, switch to Marlboro Reds in a pathetic attempt to look cool.

Then, switch to Nat Classics.

Then, switch to Luckies.

Eventually realize you get out of breath eating cereal, and quit.

scrub
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You'll develop a tolerance pretty quick, eventually you will lose the buzz, and get a sense of "satisfaction" or impact from smoking. No buzz, unless you consume faily large amount of nicotine, such as from a big cigar or dipping.

2. I think that in general you can smoke 1-3 cigs a week without getting addicted, addiction to smoking has a large psychological element. You'll gradually lose your sense of fine taste if you become a regular smoker.

3. What to smoke is the eternal question? if you like cigarettes, The major National brands are all good, I personally think American Spirit is the best of the US packaged cigarettes. There are some very good roll-your-own tobacco's around these days.

Of course if you really like cigarette's try Djarum Special's, clove cigarette's are just plain the best smoking experience around IMHO.

Cigar's are fun, of the cheap drugstore cigar's I like Backwoods Black (unlike alot of folks I don't mind flavored tobacco.) Of real cigar's H Upmann, or Zino Davidoff. Macanudo's are a good mild cigar for the starting smoker.

Pipes are probably the most interesting though.

4. It's a very unhealthy habit, in every possible way smoking is bad for you. Nonsmoker's really don't like smokers, and in general people will think you are an idiot for smoking, and they will be right. Omni and Eclipse are the only two "Reduced Harm" cigarette's on the market. Both of them are fascinating products, but rather rare.

If your looking for the nicotine buzz, snuff/chew is much safer than any form of smoking tobacco.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my oppinion, spirits suck, cloves will become nasty once you smoke more than one or so and are horrible for you, and eclipses are [censored] disgusting, although vaporizing cigarettes is an interesting idea, smoke p-funks, there the dank, if youre going to smoke i mean
Old 09-21-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I just learned how to smoke ( 21 years old ).

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, who the hell starts smoking at 21? I thought it was something you either start when your 12-14 i.e. under the legal age, or you become completely against smoking for the rest of your life and only do it when you're very drunk. What prompted you to start at 21?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had any desire to try smoking before b/c of health risks and I always thought it was kind've stupid. Then I kinda wanted to just learn how and experience it myself so I could properly judge it. I'm in the same camp as a lot of you that smoking is a really dumb thing to get addicted to. However, I think the percentage I get addicted is < 2%. I enjoy it when I smoke, and I don't see any reason to not smoke 1 or 2 a week. Plus I was just watching Die Hard and Bruce Willis looks really cool when he smokes!!!!111!!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Start out smoking whatever sorority girl cigarettes you started smoking in a pathetic attempt to get laid by a drunk girl who smoked.

When those stop giving you the high you crave, switch to Marlboro Reds in a pathetic attempt to look cool.

Then, switch to Nat Classics.

Then, switch to Luckies.

Eventually realize you get out of breath eating cereal, and quit.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 AM

You keep saying you wanted to "learn" how to smoke.

What?

What's there to learn?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Can I get a diagram?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's there to learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't figure out how to inhale it and blow it out....
I kept either inhaling (possibly down wrong pipe) and coughing out, or just having it hover in my mouth and then I blow out.