Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: New to smoking, a few q\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Arguments like "there's no point to starting" make no sense. There are plenty of reasons to smoke: it tastes good, it's great after a meal, some people get a buzz, some think it makes them look cool, whatever. So if OP thinks he can avoid getting addicted (and this is by no means impossible or even that difficult, IMO) then shut the [censored] up already.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, just dont come bitchin in two years when your hooked on something that you had absolutely no good reason to start
Old 09-21-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever, just dont come bitchin in two years when your hooked on something that you had absolutely no good reason to start

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that I do in fact get hooked on cigarettes from casual smoking, why would I come complaining when my entire point is that it's my own responsibility?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I just learned how to smoke (21 years old). I absolutely LOVE the buzz I get from smoking, but I hear that if you smoke too often you lose the buzz (and will get addicted to smoking). I have no intention of getting addicted; I'm pretty sure I can control myself. What frequency can I smoke and still expect to get a buzz everytime I smoke?

If it was only 1 cigarette per week, I'd be fine with that. But the last thing I want to do is get addicted and/or lose the buzz I get from smoking. Also, what brands do you guys like for casual smoking? I've only tried marlbro red medium 100s (or something like that) and some sort of Swisher Sweets.

Also, let's say I actually stick to only smoking once every other day or something, how unhealthy is this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You'll develop a tolerance pretty quick, eventually you will lose the buzz, and get a sense of "satisfaction" or impact from smoking. No buzz, unless you consume faily large amount of nicotine, such as from a big cigar or dipping.

2. I think that in general you can smoke 1-3 cigs a week without getting addicted, addiction to smoking has a large psychological element. You'll gradually lose your sense of fine taste if you become a regular smoker.

3. What to smoke is the eternal question? if you like cigarettes, The major National brands are all good, I personally think American Spirit is the best of the US packaged cigarettes. There are some very good roll-your-own tobacco's around these days.

Of course if you really like cigarette's try Djarum Special's, clove cigarette's are just plain the best smoking experience around IMHO.

Cigar's are fun, of the cheap drugstore cigar's I like Backwoods Black (unlike alot of folks I don't mind flavored tobacco.) Of real cigar's H Upmann, or Zino Davidoff. Macanudo's are a good mild cigar for the starting smoker.

Pipes are probably the most interesting though.

4. It's a very unhealthy habit, in every possible way smoking is bad for you. Nonsmoker's really don't like smokers, and in general people will think you are an idiot for smoking, and they will be right. Omni and Eclipse are the only two "Reduced Harm" cigarette's on the market. Both of them are fascinating products, but rather rare.

If your looking for the nicotine buzz, snuff/chew is much safer than any form of smoking tobacco.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Studies at the University of Virginia have concluded you can smoke upwards of two packs a day and not get addicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent studies at Winston-Salem State University, ( http://www.wssu.edu/ ) have concluded that "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" and that "More doctor's smoke Camel, than any other brand"
Old 09-21-2005, 04:34 AM

If you want a "buzz" from smoking, I think you're smoking the wrong stuff.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
was a social smoker thruout college, smoked a clove on the night i graduated, and haven't had a single puff in the years since. like you, i enjoyed the buzz i got from cigarettes: it was better than any buzz i ever had from drinking, the buzz hit me faster than drinking, and it was cheaper since i almost always just bummed a smoke from smoker friends (i have bought one pack of cigarettes in my lifetime).

[/ QUOTE ]
Smoking cigarettes is really the ultimate expression of conformity and sign of having a weak personality. I personally find smoking extremely distasteful, not so much because of the health risks as because of what it says about the person in question and their need for approval from their peers.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:49 AM

I have been smoking about 10-12 a day for the last 2 weeks (no prior experience), and I still get an awsome buzz from it. I will quit in a few more days.

no this is not a joke
Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
was a social smoker thruout college, smoked a clove on the night i graduated, and haven't had a single puff in the years since. like you, i enjoyed the buzz i got from cigarettes: it was better than any buzz i ever had from drinking, the buzz hit me faster than drinking, and it was cheaper since i almost always just bummed a smoke from smoker friends (i have bought one pack of cigarettes in my lifetime).

[/ QUOTE ]
Smoking cigarettes is really the ultimate expression of conformity and sign of having a weak personality. I personally find smoking extremely distasteful, not so much because of the health risks as because of what it says about the person in question and their need for approval from their peers.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf are you talking about? the majority of americans DON'T SMOKE, so the majority of anyone's peers are NON-SMOKERS. so if someone was seeking approval from his peers wouldn't he choose NOT TO SMOKE? my god, some of the responses in this thread are astonishingly dumb.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so if someone was seeking approval from his peers wouldn't he choose NOT TO SMOKE?

[/ QUOTE ]
This argument is so obviously flawed on so many levels that it's not even worth a response. Convince me how knowingly poisoning yourself "because you're a social smoker" is NOT a symptom of blatant conformity.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 AM

switch to shrooms...you won't regret it