Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Should have I dropped

This is the hand that ended my tourney play last night, so now I sit here wondering how I should have played this?

200/400 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 802580) -
I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP

UTG+1(T6105) calls 200, folded to me(T2925), I raise to 600, BB(T2230) cold calls and UTG+1 calls
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
checked to me and I bet 475, BB folds, UTG+1 calls

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

checked to me, I bet 600, UTG+1 calls

I would have dropped if he raised, and I planned to drop on the river if I saw any action

** Dealing River ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
checked to me, I go all in with my now straight, UTG+1 calls

UTG+1 shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the runner, runner nut flush.

I figured he had middle pair and I could just outplay him, although I may have checked behind him on the river if I didn't make the straight. How does this guy call my flop bet with bottom pair?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Should have I dropped

Need some clarification, you said it was 200/400 but you only raised to 600? Thats an invalid raise. Also you need to provide stack sizes here.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:15 AM

added stack sizes, sorry bout that. 600 is a perfectly valid raise in NL
Old 08-27-2003, 11:17 AM

Not when the BB is 400. Even in NL the raise must be atleast the size of the BB. Unless you meant you raised 600 more (to 1000) instead of to 600.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:21 AM

Oh, I see what happened now - you listed 200/400 as the level - you actually mean 100/200. In no limit (unlike limit) by convention you list the blind values as the levels.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:29 AM

I limp or fold this pre-flop, depending on what I expect from later positions. Middle and small pairs are huge chip drains, and with a much larger stack already in if a later raise is at all likely, its not worth it. I know Im folding anything but a set or top pair to a 4 straight on the flop, so I will only play them from late position and if its cheap.

My terminology is probably bad as I re-read this. By "top pair to a 4 straight" I mean no higher pair flops, and it leaves me with a straight draw. "Overpair to a 4 straight?"
Old 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Well unless you know a bit about UTG+1 I'd be more likely to limp pre-flop with 66 as generally he's showing a bit of strength here. If however he does this all the time, then fine, pop it. The raise to 600 makes it hard to take down immediately however since there is already 1100 (not counting the BB call yet) in the pot when it comes back to him and it only costs him 400 more to call. When the BB calls as well he's getting 4:1 against two stacks that can hurt him but not critically wound him. The upshot is I probably would have raised more, to atleast 800 to try and shut out the blinds better and make it more likely he'll fold. Now, that is over 25% of your stack - more reason just to limp pre-flop.

On the flop I think your bet is too weak - there is 1900 in the pot now so your bet is about 25% of the pot (he's getting 5:1 with a pair, an overcard and a back door flush plus you look weak) - you pretty much need to check or go all in. I'd probably just check against two opponents. Against one its a tougher call.

On the turn its all in or check again I think. I think the BB's play is pretty bad here - he should either bet into or check raise you all in I think (after the turn but you only have 1450 i think).

On the river I think you're pretty committed.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:59 AM

In this chip position with 66, I'm going to fold most of the time if there are limpers and several players to act after me. First in, I'd raise and if called, bet all-in on an aceless flop if it's checked to me.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:35 PM

Call or muck pre-flop. With your stack I would call assuming there are not a lot of pre-flop raises. If most pots are being raised then I would muck.

I would muck/check on the flop. If you must bet then based on your stack size I would go all-in.

Ken Poklitar