Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Jays sign BJ Ryan, 5 years/47 m

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holy [censored], have fun paying that salary. thats mariano money right there. why such a long deal on a 30 yr old guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because A) he's awesome and B) after him and Wagner the closer market drops off significantly. he would have gotten this money anywhere he signed.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but 5 years? have fun paying him $135k/inning for the next 5 years. i just don't think he's worth more than mariano
Old 11-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Yeah, 5 years is a lot.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holy [censored], have fun paying that salary. thats mariano money right there. why such a long deal on a 30 yr old guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because A) he's awesome and B) after him and Wagner the closer market drops off significantly. he would have gotten this money anywhere he signed.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but 5 years? have fun paying him $135k/inning for the next 5 years. i just don't think he's worth more than mariano

[/ QUOTE ]

5 years is an awful long time, but the Jays want to be better now. If they didn't give him this deal, someone else would. Last year closers got so much negative press that teams feel a high pressure from local medias to get a good closer. Sometimes you just have to overpay(until baseball gets a god damn salary cap).
-James
Old 11-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Blue Jays got a deal at $10 million/year. 5 years though? I think he might be able to remain good until then but probably won't. The guy has been lights out his whole career, who cares if he's only been in a closer's role for a year and is 29. Good move for the Blue Jays. Should turn them into a winner this year. They do play in the AL East though..
Old 11-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Keith Foulke got 3 years and 20.5m two offseasons ago, and was better for longer and only a year older. now before some jackass points out how bad he was last year, let me know where you got your crystal ball so i can buy one.

also, he hasn't been good his whole career. the first 170 innings or so he was a below average pitcher (walks). since his walk rate has dropped each of the last 3 years (dramatically from 03-04) and his K rate has increased he has become very good.

everybody in the free world knows they overpaid. its Toronto for crying out loud. they probably have to overpay for a player more than the NYY. they probably figured it was better to pay more for this guy now, then risk losing him later.

since i am always whining about how the red sox have to spend more to keep with NY, the same must hold true for Toronto, especially since they play in an undesirable locale.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What will the Orioles do for a closer now?

Who's this Burnett guy on the Jays? Did they get A.J. Burnett?

[/ QUOTE ]
The jays didn't get Burnett but right now they look like the frontrunner to sign him also now that the jays have Ryan I would not be suprised to see a trade like Hinske and Batista for a better hitter some names that I have heard were Kevin Mench, and Lyle Overbay.

In terms of the Ryan signing I think that they gave him too much money but it's better they over pay him a few million then not got him at all.

The jays lost alot of bad games last year to give you an idea they scored 775 runs let up 705 runs and were under 500. Next year Halladay should be 100% because he suffered a fluke injury to his leg not his arm and it is a broken bone not a muscle and they should not lose all those games so theyshould give the sox and yanks a run for their money.