Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Different Strategy for Speed Tournaments

I just signed up at Old West Poker because of the low limit SnGs they offer and because my old standby, UB, has been sucking lately.

Not realizing it, I sit down at a "Speed Tourney" SnG and proceed to witness the fastest and craziest tourney I've ever seen. 3 people go all-in on the first hand, all with 2nd class hands at best. I didn't understand this until I realized what the tourney format was:

9 people
Starting stack: T2000
Starting Blinds: T20/40
Blinds go up every 3 minutes.

I started on the SB and by the time the blinds had made it back around to me, they were already 100/200. The 2nd orbit to me the blinds were 2/3 of my stack.

Finally, on the last BB I would see, I end up with AJo. 2 callers to me and I push all-in. Called by AA and 22 and a 2 falls on the flop.

So, my question is, how do you adjust your strategy to increase your chances in these tournies?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Different Strategy for Speed Tournaments

Well, my number one strategy adjustment would be to not play at all!

My second strategy would be to play any reasonable after round 3 likes its the nuts. Especially if people are calling with 22 and such and going all in all the time.