Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CALL OR FOLD?!?!?!?!?
CALL!!!! 19 57.58%
FOLD!!! 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 9mm

[ QUOTE ]
Shoot from an iso stance instead of weaver.

Or close your dominant eye when you shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm shooting from already. Yea, I know I could close the eye. I thought maybe there was a better alternative. I've learned to shoot a shotgun left-handed because of it. Never was a good left-handed pistolero though. Meh. I'll probably just keep doing it the way I do. I can shoot good enough to hit someone. It's more just the target thing I wouldn't mind getting better at. No biggie.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 PM

I own the P228 with 13 shot magazine. I like it. Easy to use no jamming problems, and easier to clean.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking news: you don't need a gun. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like guns, I don't see a great reason for people to have guns. That said- they're legal here, nothing will change that, and gaying up a thread where people are talking about guns with anti-gun zealotry is pointless.

Please make better posting choices.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Cross dominance is a real problem. While it is easy to adapt techniques "on the range" like closing one eye, the problem comes in when you are forced to do a tactical activity like "slicing the pie". If you can learn to shoot with your weak hand, it would be a significant improvement.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cross dominance is a real problem. While it is easy to adapt techniques "on the range" like closing one eye, the problem comes in when you are forced to do a tactical activity like "slicing the pie". If you can learn to shoot with your weak hand, it would be a significant improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. This is why I've always chosen to just keep the eye open and compensate by leaning my head over far enough to use my dominat eye. Not pretty but it gets the job done well enough. You're right though, I should've just learned to shoot southpaw. Just never took the time to unlearn too much shooting the other way.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about getting a concealed weapons permit and have spent a bit of time looking at different guns. Right now, this Glock is in the lead... thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people either love or hate Glocks. They have a unique feel and trigger. Do not buy one without test shooting.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people either love or hate Glocks. They have a unique feel and trigger. Do not buy one without test shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I have small hands, but they feel good anyway for some reason. Also, they may not the best for concealed carry because the staggered magazine tends to make them bulky.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. This is why I've always chosen to just keep the eye open and compensate by leaning my head over far enough to use my dominat eye. Not pretty but it gets the job done well enough. You're right though, I should've just learned to shoot southpaw. Just never took the time to unlearn too much shooting the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have same problem, shoot right hand/left eye, just tilt my head and close the right eye, w/ Weaver stance. Haven't had a problem yet... I don't understand why it's awkward for you, the eyes aren't that far apart. I did experiment w/ left hand and seems to be less reliable.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else have the dominant eye problem where you dominant eye and hand are opposite? If so, do you still shoot with both eyes open? I find craning my head way over is the onlt thing I can do. Anyone else? Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I used to be pretty ambidextrous but now am mostly right handed. But my left eye is still dominant and is also sharper. For years I shot pistols right handed and rifles(and shot pool, bows etc.) left-handed.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much does a cheap handgun cost?

I've been thinking about getting one for a while.
I live in NY, would it be cheaper to drive somewhere and get a legal one or find a "special deal" around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was looking for the cheapest good (i.e., not going to blow up in my hand) gun, I'd probably look for a good used revolver, most likely an older Smith & Wesson. Probably in the $200 range.

You cannot legally buy a hand gun any place other than in your state of residence. Requirements vary from state to state. The federal law allows a sale between private parties without background checks or any paper work. The seller is supposed to check that the buyer is a resident of the state. I suspect the NY state laws are a tad more restrictive than that.

If you buy from a dealer, at a minimum the dealer will run a background check. Many states require a purchase permit, issued by the sheriff of your county of residence.