Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: A weak-tight decision ?

Everyone,
I've read a million comments about the difference between California and Las Vegas poker. I was amused to read the lineup in Malmoe in so familiar. Is there a thread anywhere comparing European game conditions to the U.S.?
Thanks, Bob
Old 12-22-2003, 04:34 AM

It is a little special in Malmoe. They only have two tables one around 6-12 and one around 15-30.

For some reason the 6-12 play tighter than the 15-30. Maybe the people with money to burn want to burn them as fast as possible.

I do not know anything about other European card rooms.

Kim
Old 12-22-2003, 04:47 AM

Hello Elysium.

Maybe you are right. But the 5 outer is bogus. The SB has either a 99, A3 suited or a j with a better kicker and maybe a little chance of a total bluff. (The bluff is not likely under the game conditions.)

Only against the J hand do I have five outs and if I pay the turn I will also pay the river which reduces my odds.

Unfortunately we will never know what the SB really had as he did not get called on the river.

Kim
Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 AM

Hello Elysium.

According to HPFAP i can call with this hand in late position.

If i reraise UTG will cap it and I risk losing the two loose passive players who will pay my possible later bets. (To come back at you you maybe should read a little about implied odds and effective odds in TOP)

Kim
Old 12-22-2003, 05:08 AM

hi nummer
you might have the lead.....the lead nummer.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:10 AM

hi nummer
nummer, you should raise and get the dead money into the pot. that's fine nummer.....it's fine.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If i reraise UTG will cap it and I risk losing the two loose passive players ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kim,

Are you implying that if you reraise and it gets capped, you might actually get this pot heads up with position against a random hand who is willing to give up if he misses? If this is the case, a 3-bet is definitely viable.

Personally, I don't see loose passive players calling two cold and then folding when it's capped and another two back to them. This is why I elliminated the 3-bet as a possibility. With those players involved, you have to play to showdown the winner, which means you want to pay as little as possible while you are still drawing.

If you are suggesting that the other players might fold and leave you heads up, then now you can reraise and try to win this pot unimproved by bluffing the random hand out when he misses, which will be quite often and very profitable.

More likely though, you will not lose the limpers and may very well get a free card, as elysium suggests. I personally think this card will have become too expensive though, as you're paying a full big bet for it preflop! yuck. If you flop a straight or a flush, you'll be disappointed at having put on the frighteners preflop with your 3-bet. If you totally whiff you'll be disappointed that you put in the extra money. Finally, even if you do flop a draw, there is some chance that you will get a free card anyways against these passive opponents, especially if you put in a flop raise. In other words, I think just calling is the best plan here.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:50 PM

Elindauer:

Thank you for a well thought out response that explains the preflop thinking much clearer than I would be able to even in danish.

And now that I think it over I do not really expect the loose passives to fold for two more bets.

Kim
Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM

As a person very fond of the Malmoe games I would reraise preflop to buy the button and because I know they'll all call even if UTG caps.

Raise the turn with the intention of getting a free showdown and fold to a 3-bet.

Notice how this would have been easier had you 3-bet preflop (with your tight solid image).

(wow my post number 1000, free cards for everyone)
Old 12-23-2003, 08:20 AM

(wow my post number 1000, free cards for everyone)

What took you so long?

-S