Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Is this scared poker ?

Playing in a very loose 100-200 SEK (around $10-$20) i limp in utg with KK (The loosest coldcallers vere not at the table in this hand). Next hand calls and a MP raises. The MP was the tightest player besides me. Everybody folds to me and i reraise and the raiser reraises (cap). I call and we are heads up.

The flop turn and river comes small cards (no flushes possible) and I check call my opponents bets on every
street. He shows TT in the showdown.

I guess i did not miss any bets. I am relatively sure he would have folded to a checkraise on the turn.

But was my thinking flawed. I was thinking my opponent had to put me on KK or AA, and I was worried about his constant betting.

Kim
Old 08-23-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Is this scared poker ?

I don't like limping with KK preflop, but it worked well for you.

Most people will cap with more than AA, so I think you've got to assume you are ahead on the flop. I probably would have checkraised the flop. If three-bet, I'd go into check-call mode.

Note that your opponent's river bet seems foolish, since you are unlikely to call w/o a bigger pair.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:50 AM

Kim,

Of course, with your opponent capping pre-flop you can rightfully assume they have a big pair. At this point I still figure my KK is best (until given VERY good reason otherwise) and I want to extract the most bets from a smaller pair.

I like to checkraise the flop. If I get 3-bet I'll just call as to not give away too much information.

On the turn I would go for the checkraise again. If I get 3-bet here I'll go into check-call mode down to the river.

Bottom line is that pre-flop you really don't have any good reason to think you're behind. Many players will cap heads up with 1010 - AA (possibley AKs). Using a checkraise on the flop and/or turn should give you better information as to what your opponent is holding.

jujujaja34
Old 08-29-2003, 08:58 AM

Afish is right: I shouldn't have bet the river. On the other hand when somebody just calls all the way I don't think AKs is out of the question.

You did play it weak, but as you suspected: I would have folded to a checkraise on the turn! You should have bet out on the river though!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:10 AM

hi kim
you need to get a raise in there somewhere.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:24 AM

As I read your post, I thought to myself "there was at least one missed check-raise here." After reading further and discovering that your opponent is a thinking, solid player, I believe you missed two raises. Against someone who might think I'm trying to jam a missed AK, I'd think about check-raising the flop and the turn. Alternatively, bet the flop, call a raise, and then check-raise the turn. There was no reason to put your opponent on AA just because he capped pre-flop.