Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 05:31 AM

Default Unethical standards ?

I am reading Phil Helmuts book right now, and the following Phil H seems to think nothing of.

1. In an Omaha high Pot limit game two people raise the third out of a pot. Someone is all in, they see each others hand and agree to split the pot (granted, they had about even chances) .In a similar situation they agree to "run them twice".

If I had been raised of, I would not be a happy camper.

2. Phil H writes, that your goal in a tournament is to be among the last three, so you can make a deal. Dont you risk, that if someone refuses to make a deal, the others gang up against him for example by softplaying each other.

3. It seems to be common practice that the pro's have pieces of each other when playing in the same tournament. It does not seem quite right to me. Couldnt there be problems with softplaying or dumping of chips ?

Kim
Old 07-20-2003, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Unethical standards ?

1. is common practice and of little consequence in the bigger games, as the players know that you are not being raised out by a team only by individuals that after it has gotten to two players, they make a deal.

2. deals are made all the time and if two get together and soft play the third they should get barred. it rarely happens as the blinds are so high that its effectiveness is reduced unless they totally play partners. and that requires an agreement beforehand.

3. the pro's usually do not have pieces of each other and when they do it is mostly a small piece from a swap.

of course in any gambling or businnes deal there will be some bad things going on.