Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: NO FAULTY PREMISES

Hi Al,

[ QUOTE ]
It is a thought experiment that shows logic is no guide to living the "good" life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one here has argued that logic alone can guide one's actions. Logic is a process of analysis, but it is only as useful as the premises upon which it is based.

Given your premises as stated, the flaw in the burglar's reasoning and premises occurred prior to the burglary, where he began with a premise of "if I can steal it, I'm entitled to it," then failed to follow through the chain of possible consequences ("if I break in to steal it and someone is home, it might turn violent or even deadly").

In short, you've created a thought experiment which: (a) is based on a flawed statement of the subject you introduce as a counterexample; and, (b) punctuated the problem in a way designed to illustrate your pre-determined conclusion. An accurate statement of the law, or a different punctuation of the problem, can prove the opposite conclusion. So all you've done is prove that you can misstate and narrow the discourse in ways that make logical analysis irrelevant. That says nothing at all about the utility of logic, and a whole lot about your approach to rhetoric.

Cris