Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Consistent Success playing NL MTT\'s

I see a lot of guys playing mtt's and being successful at them conistently, finishing at the final table all the time, online were talking. I enjoy the multi table tournaments the most out of any structure, and I am somewhat successful. I play in the lower buyin tourneys at stars with anywhere from 1000 to 2100 ppl, and i finished 3rd in one 1200 person which is my best so far. I see people on pokerstars who consistently finish vey high in the money and usually more often than not the final table. I have read harrington on holdem and try to follow his advice but it is tough on the internet because you don't have as much time before the blinds eat you up. I usually either last for 3 or 4 rounds and then exit, or I finish anywhere from 70-200 place. I would like to read some advice from players who consistently make it to final tables on the internet and see what strategy they use to make it through the beginning and the middle of the these large tourneys and make their time worthwhile with the big payouts. My final table play is pretty good once I get there. A link to an article would also be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Consistent Success playing NL MTT\'s

You should post some specific hands and situations that give you trouble, as you are more likely to get help this way. Your question is pretty broad, and as posed is more likely to receive an answer like the one Paul Phillips gives in his FAQ:
"Best of luck. Play tighter and more aggressively."
Old 09-13-2005, 03:55 PM

I've reached several final tables lately, no wins, but I'm still getting there consistently. After reading here and also HOH 1 & 2, I opened up the mid tourney & bubble part of my game considerably. You have to be able to put some chips in the middle and steal when blinds get to 150/300 and up especially when their are antes
Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to read some advice from players who consistently make it to final tables on the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

I think first you need to define "consistently."

What do you think a consistent FT rate would be? 5%? 10%? 30%? 40%?

A lot depends on the type, size and format of the tournament. Is the average tournament the player plays in a $5 sit n go on a Sunday morning, or $100 nightlies, or the $200 $125K Sunday nighter on UB, or something in between?

IMHO, as one who plays primarily UB NLTs in the $10-$50 entry fee range where there are typically 150-300 punters at the starting line, if a player at these games is making FTs at a rate of 15-20% or slightly higher, then they are easily in the top one or two percentile of best players in their games (if not higher), and they are probably close to getting the maximum yield out of their games.

This WAG is caveated by a couple of notes:
- This is pure speculation based upon my own results and those of other players that I keep an eye on.
- This assumes the player is playing on his/her own, in an ethical manner.

Personally, I think two more interesting stats are how likely is someone to make a FT once they are into the money, and how likely they are to close the deal once they are seated at the FT.

Also, I think this would be a great marketing gimmick for the online shops. That is to publish the top stats just like MLB publishes BA, RBI, ERA, etc. Then they could put out bounties just like in the bigger tournaments, and also hand out bonuses for players who stay in or are at the top after a certain period. Maybe they already do it on sites other than UB. I wouldn't know.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've reached several final tables lately, no wins, but I'm still getting there consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give me some numbers such as 3 final tables in 10 tries, 5 money finishes in 12 tries, ...etc?
I want to set the right expections for me on what are possible.

[ QUOTE ]

I opened up the mid tourney & bubble part of my game considerably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give us a little more details on this?
Everyone steals. You cannot survive if you don't steal.
Do you have any guidelines for what hands to steal with how much of your chips at what positions?
Any good old threads on this?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 PM

well.. consistently making final tables... is like 6% of the time... so you have to get used to not always getting good results.