Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: rush/anti rush

[ QUOTE ]
the only reason to do this is because when you are losing your image goes to [censored], and when youre winning people stay out of your way. streaks exist in the past, not the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, each hand is independent of the last unless you let the results of one affect you play on another. So no, poker doesn't come in streaks, it comes in small dosages called hands.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, each hand is independent of the last unless you let the results of one affect you play on another. So no, poker doesn't come in streaks, it comes in small dosages called hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting previous hands affect your future play is called using "reads" IIRC. Reads are goot.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 AM

Here is a somewhat harsh but sarcasm-free answer...

In short, your claim is completely incorrect. The cards are random... period. Any decent player accepts this fact. No good player attempts to anticipate the next hand based on the previous hand because it simply cannot be done. The cards are random. Tell yourself that until you believe it.

However, it might be beneficial to explore this not-so-uncommon fallacy. This probably has something to do with the way the hunman mind processes information. A part of your mind is constantly looking for patterns. The reason you think you are "running bad" is the same reason you can look at the moon and see a face.

Your mind is sorting all the various information that your are taking in at any given moment. Most of it is background noise, but some of it is "a pattern." So just like you ignore the rock formations that don't look like faces, you tend to ignore the times when the cards are evenly distributed.

Sometimes, people do exactly what you are proposing. They play more loose and aggressive when they have been winning and more tight and passive when they are losing. They do this because after a nice win, they want to relive the experience and after a painful loss, they want to avoid a repeat of that pain. There is a word for that and that word is "tilt."
Old 12-07-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you know when the streaks are changing?

[/ QUOTE ]

the more you wipe, the less the streak.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM

The only credible quality I can assign to rushes is that some people believe in them. Personally I don't. The secret is recognizing the people who do believe in them and adapting your play accordingly. If someone believes they are going to lose and are on a downstreak, then it is going to be much easier to make them lose i.e. run them off a hand. If someone believes they are hot, and is raising every hand, you can use them as a tool to manipulate table betting easier.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

anti rush. he's a bigot and a creep.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 PM

mega-dittos creep maybe; bigot - never
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM

"Rush" is a bad word to use. But streaks certainly do exist, and it's well within the limits of probability.

Just for fun, flip a quarter a few hundred times, and assume I pay you $1 for every heads and you pay me $.95 every time it lands tails (of course you like this proposition because it pays you an expected two-and-a-half cents per flip).

But occassionally that damn coin is going to land tails ten times in a row. Am I "rushing" during this multi-win $0.95 extravaganza? No, it's just raw statistics. And damn it, you won the next five, lost one, and won five more!

This is a stupid example, but I think it illustrates the point that what you perceive as good and bad runs, is just probability playing out its course. And in poker (as with all games of high variance), 2 sigma is pretty far from your expected value.

Oh, and try flipping that same quarter twenty times and getting the result H-T-H-T...H-T. I'm not going to calculate, but the probability is close to zero.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I would like to recommend Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney to you.

PEace