Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Getting away from a draw...

Hi all!
I am a no-limit novice who could need some help with a hand.
Started 1000 players down to about 350 - top 100 get paid.
I get a free play in BB against a late caller. This late caller just moved to my table. I have T$5000 (above average) and he has me covered.
Blinds 75-150.
I have 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets (275)
I raise (1500) to 1500
He raises (2450) to 2725
I calls (1225)
** Dealing Turn ** : Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bets (2120) all-in
He calls (2120)
Shows
6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
** Dealing River ** : [ 9s ]

Could I have gotten away from it. What should I have done?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Getting away from a draw...

I think you're doomed. The only way you don't lose your stack here is folding the flop. But that's tough to do for just 275. But even if you flat call the 275 on the draw, which is a fair price considering your stack and the implied odds, once that Q hits, you're stuck.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:07 PM

Rough spot. Was he in the small blind or did you check raise the flop?

If you check raised the flop you have to be very concerned when he reraises you. In that case you may need to make a big lay down. I'd put him on A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or top set if he came over the top of a check raise. The A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fear is what would make me lay it down if I did lay it down.

If he bet out, you raised, and he reraised you have a little more reason to call since you have position on him, but all and all it is a very dicey situation once he reraises you. At best on the flop you have to figure you are about a 2-1 dog to win if you see it through to the show down. But after you made a move for the pot with your semi-bluff, it is big enough to make your decision very tricky.

I think your raise was too high. A raise to 750 should clear him out if he does not have a strong hand (which is what you want) but should keep the pot small enough in relation to your stack to get away from the hand if he comes over the top of you. I don't like tricky decisions, and keeping the pot small here lets you get away from the hand a lot easier.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:39 PM

I don't really like your play on any street. If the action folds to LP who limps, then folds to me on the BB, I raise. The LPs range of limping hands can be huge, and you really should just take the pot pre-flop. Raise to 600 and see what he does.

Your post-flop action is way too aggressive - you have a draw. Why check-raise the flop...a call is fine, a fold is fine, betting out instead of checking is fine, but check-raising just seems way too aggressive. I prefer betting out for say 250 or 300. If you get raised for a large amount, fold it. There's no sense in playing all your chips on a draw. If he calls, look at the turn and take it from there (in this case, another bet, say around 750).

You have too many chips to be putting them all in the middle on such a weak draw. Raise pre-flop to eliminate the lone weak pre-flop limper in LP.