Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 04:34 AM

Default 160-40-80

Great 40/80. Every hand was capped before the flop. When someone says every hand was capped before the flop, they’re exaggerating, but I mean 80%-90% of the hands were capped before the flop. That doesn’t actually mean great game to me, most of the time. What made this great was they played totally predictably after the flop. If they had something they bet and if they didn’t they’d check. There were too guys doing the auto raising, but everyone played predictably, including them.

Auto capper raises from early middle. Folded to me in CO. The button will play most of his hands. He is oblivious to the raises and the raisers. If he is going to play the hand he plays it. He’ll limp it gets then it gets capped. If it’s capped before it gets to him, he calls. Either way he’s playing his A2o. The auto-three better is in the SB. The BB is tight rational player. I have Ks Js.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: 160-40-80

hi gabe
do not even think about it gabe. fold. you're better off here with something like KJo than suited. of course, you would never play that either, but at least it's easier to get away from. getting involved in this hand with that is exactly how to lose. in fact, this post is the best example i've ever seen on how good players can get sucked into the vacuum of poker loss; suited ether combos against crazy crazies. here it is. this is it. you're KJ were hearts, am i right? you betcha. this is it. this is how to lose. everyone needs to read this post.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:21 AM

depending on how bored i was i would fold. But it can't be that bad to see the flop and get lucky.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:28 AM

Is it ever bad to see the flop and get lucky? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 11:57 AM

Why would he want a hand that's "easy" to get away from post-flop? There's going to be a big pot, and he's going to have a draw to a hand that can win a monster, and his opponents are predcitable--they're going to check with bupkis and bet with a hand worth betting.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:11 PM

If the open raiser is truly playing/capping every hand, you have a very good hand and position against a random hand, with only 3 random hands to worry about left to act, 2 of which you have position on.

If the button wants to call with A2o for 3 bets here, fantastic. If the SB plays any 2 here, even better. You have position on a couple of maniac who you can outplay postflop. Time to ram + jam.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:15 PM

"depending on how bored i was i would fold. But it can't be that bad to see the flop and get lucky.'

for you, and i mean specifically *you*, folding here would be a huge mistake. same for gabe.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:27 PM

I assume your question is whether to call or raise. I can't see folding this hand in this positon in this game. I say raise. this will expedite the capping and shut out the bb.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:36 PM

after reading the responses thus far, I noticed that snakehead was the only one who advocated raising. Far be it for me to advise you contra to snakehead's thinking, but I don't think a raise is that great here unless you truly have a hand that you want to build a pot with.

You don't want to get a reputation of someone who'll three bet then muck on the flop in this game. Keep the party going. If it's going to be capped anyway and you have a hand you want to play in a capped pot in this game, why not just go with the flow and let them do the dirty work.
Note that this is purely an image type play. you don't care that they put you on a hand or not, since it's highly likely that they don't care what hand you have. They will notice the guy who raises then mucks on the next street, though. They'll see you as the party pooper if you do this. If you call then muck, though, you're just another party goer who bowed out early, and the revelry is more likely to carry on.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume your question is whether to call or raise. I can't see folding this hand in this positon in this game. I say raise. this will expedite the capping and shut out the bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have bet one dollar that you'd have said fold. Shows what I know.