Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Encouraging the fish

Does anyone ever do this? I usually like to tell them my hand(almost always something I made up) and tell them "good fold" after I bluff. So that they will think they are better than they really are....anyone else do something similar? Is this bad?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Encouraging the fish

Just on occassion. I don't want to overuse that move because I actually don't want them folding to my bets usually.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone ever do this? I usually like to tell them my hand(almost always something I made up) and tell them "good fold" after I bluff. So that they will think they are better than they really are....anyone else do something similar? Is this bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
You start thought processes. That is a bad thing. Don't talk about anything except the weather.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:13 PM

I believe the best way to encourage the fish is to compliment them on there hands when they win. Especially the bigger pots. At almost every table I play at I find myself complimenting a fish at least once when he busts my JJ, KK, or AA with 97o and such.

They are people and even if we think of them as fish in the poker community, they enjoy thinking they did something good and get a sense of accomplishment as everyone does. A simple compliment here and there is all it takes without going overboard. If you go overboard with it, it will backfire and you will either be percieved as a jerk or they will get sick of hearing it.

Keep it simple, compliment them on a good win and continue waiting for the next opportunity to eat them alive.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the best way to encourage the fish is to compliment them on there hands when they win. Especially the bigger pots. At almost every table I play at I find myself complimenting a fish at least once when he busts my JJ, KK, or AA with 97o and such.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you are giving them enough credit. Half of them will know what you really mean. They may start to feel embarrased they played the hand at all (if they have spent just a small amount of time a Party a few table coaches would already have berated them for playing such a hand). And they may start thinking twice about playing such a hand again. Just admit to yourself that "nh" is more for you (getting it out of your system) than for them.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 PM

I like to compliment them when they suck out on other people, but usually only when the victim of the suckout is being an ass about it, berating them for their play etc. If done right it encourages the fish to continue playing, and it tilts the hell out of the loser.

Chiz
Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think you are giving them enough credit. Half of them will know what you really mean. They may start to feel embarrased they played the hand at all (if they have spent just a small amount of time a Party a few table coaches would already have berated them for playing such a hand). And they may start thinking twice about playing such a hand again. Just admit to yourself that "nh" is more for you (getting it out of your system) than for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all, especially when they don't see my cards. I totally disagree. Heck, I do the same thing when I fold my cards on the river and they show down with someone else.

Besides, why would a simple "nh" or "vn" make anyone that just won a big pot feel embarrased? If it does, then there is something wrong with them. When I say nice hand, I am sincere, as it obviously was a nice hand if it beat mine. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Even if it wasn't played the way I feel it should have been.

Anyway, I don't think they should be embarressed and if they are, then oh well. It was a sincere compliment and not for me. I could care less as I know in the long run I will win as I always have. I got over doing it for myself long ago. I don't do it to emarrass them, I do it to compliment them and I think most take it as such. The "reason" I do it is because I know my skill level is above theirs and I want them to feel comfortable enough to hang around.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to compliment them when they suck out on other people, but usually only when the victim of the suckout is being an ass about it, berating them for their play etc. If done right it encourages the fish to continue playing, and it tilts the hell out of the loser.

Chiz

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the only time I would do it.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, why would a simple "nh" or "vn" make anyone that just won a big pot feel embarrased?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because they've been told over and over again by the table coaches that a hand like 97o sucks. Yet they can't help themselves because it is too boring if you fold 80% of the time so they keep doing it even though they know it is bad play. That is what they feel embarrassed about. Have you never seen one VPIP60+ bash another VPIP60+ for playing the hands he plays? Yet he plays those same hands himself.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:10 PM

Umm...ok. Well maybe I am just a heartless bastard here but if he is embarrased to play a hand and continues to play it and wins with it and then feels uncomfortable when someone says "nice hand", then I just can't care enough at that point.

I still disagree that my "nh" comment is hurting the situation. As I said, I think "most" take it as a compliment, not the other way around. You apparently think "most" take it offensively. We disagree.