Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3 - Four vs. Five
Batman (4) 102 57.63%
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (5) 75 42.37%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Utilizing names in color in MTT

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly because, as someone else pointed out, it will make people less likely to disagree with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do see this behavior in some people, I think that what people need to realize is that in order to become a good/great player they need to be able to think out and rationalize decisions for themselves. Some of our greatest learning as a species came from questioning universally accepted truths. (As diligent students it is our duty to always question "truths" - to gain further understanding for ourselves and to advance general knowledge.)

IMO, the real value of a forum is learning through interaction and learning the thought processes and variables to consider in various types of situations - not remembering that when x happens I should always do y, because as we know there are very few situations in poker where a certain action is always the best play.

That said, whether you grant colors or not - we will still be able to select which poster's content we deem worthy of our time.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 PM

As long as there is a rule that anyone who refers to AK as a drawing hand will never get a colored name.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as there is a rule that anyone who refers to AK as a drawing hand will never get a colored name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Countersuggestion

I didn't vote (I guess the poll is closed? The results show up on my screen, not the poll).

But I'll go on record as saying I don't like the idea. There is already a natural barrier to entry for recognition as a good poster. People notice all posts by known players and often ignore good posts by unknowns.

I have a countersuggestion:

Create a stickied 2+2 leaderboard thread or just a thread listing big time wins by posters separated by level. Like:

Category 1 - WSOP/WPT cashes
Category 2 - 300 + buyin final 3's
Category 3 - 100 + buyin wins.

Something like this and/or some kind of simple points ranking system, which could incorporate lower buyin results etc. Obviously the more complicated it gets the more work someone has to put in to make it work, but I bet that results database used for the week could be helpful. A listing of big wins would take no time, a big points system a lot - obviously.

Two benefits:

The competitive/brag/kudos aspect

A concrete means of measuring MTT skill, by which new posters could more easily be recognized, and which would help all posters identify who's got game.

I may make a separate thread about this idea once I have it fleshed out. I think this could happen with or without the coloring of names (it could even be the means by which colors are assigned, although this has some problems as the best players are not necessarily all great post-writers) and would be a good addition to the forum regardless.

I call this a countersuggestion because the two ideas are related and I like one and not the other, but they are obviously independent and could be evaluated separately. If mods are very anti-new thread for this topic, let me know and I can keep it here.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 PM

It seems that those who want certain posters to have their names in color are those who are seeking to improve. Those who are against this are those who would not object if *their* names were in color. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

J/K, sorta. There seems to be a tinge of jealousy with some of the objections.

I approve. I trust the moderators to select posters who are the ones new members can listen to, people who's posting history is top shelf. I trust those selected to take their responsibilities seriously. I also trust posters here to follow their own minds. However, given the often childishness so often displayed on every open forum on the Internet, all this is probably just Jack being Polyanna.

I know who I can trust and who I can't, but feel free to disagree with both. I guess that comes with living for more than two decades (or three or four).

I'm disappointed with the arguments against, but certainly not surprised.

CJ
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM

How about if anybody starts a "should I fold AA preflop" thread then we give them <font color="scarlet"> the scarlet letter</font>
Old 10-21-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about if anybody starts a "should I fold AA preflop" thread then we give them <font color="scarlet"> the scarlet letter</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as the letter also applies to all "online poker is rigged" posts.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that those who want certain posters to have their names in color are those who are seeking to improve. Those who are against this are those who would not object if *their* names were in color. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I, uh, object. I don't think I would belong in color if there were color. Not based on skill or posting history or anything else. I just don't like the idea of semi-sanctifying everything certain people have to say.

If there's a known poster debating some issue with an unknown who happens to be his equal as a player, too many people probably already assume the known player is right. This would make that worse.

At the very least, if it happens, I would suggest:

1. Make every effort to focus on players with a lot of success, not just those who post a lot.

2. Include some kind of disclaimer emphasizing the importance of thinking for yourself and challenging established notions.

3. Include posters with different styles, so that the colors won't always be agreeing with each other.

4. Encourage threads that will create dissension amongst the colors, such as the recent Hand with the Masters posts. Topics of the week or something, choosing people who are going to be eager to debate theory and concepts in addition to interesting hands.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as the letter also applies to all "online poker is rigged" posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its much better to mark the posters who we should avoid like the plague rather than mark the ones we should read.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:00 PM

Well I was looking for a super-majority to give this thing a try and that's what we got. So I have now highlighted 10 posters who I believe meet the following criteria:

1) They regularly post in MTT;
2) They have demonstrated long-term success playing MTTs;
3) They routinely make insightful comments.

Just because someone's name is now blue doesn't mean that what they say is the word from above. And just because somebody's name isn't in blue doesn't mean that they don't offer great advice.

What I'm hoping to achieve with this is to just draw a little extra attention to some people whose posts many people have said they find much value in. I'm sure I left off one or more people who probably deserve to be "blue". And I'm sure I'll add some names at some point. And of course I might change a name back to a normal color for one reason or another.

While I take full responsibility for the ultimate selection of names, I drew from a thread we had awhile back about "good posters in MTT". Names that were mentioned repeatedly went to the top of the list. I'm happy to consider other people and you can send me a PM if you have someone in mind. Please keep in mind that changing colors is not something that I plan on doing every minute of the day, or even on a daily or weekly basis, so if you have suggestions it might be a month before I take any action.

This is a trial to see if there's value in doing this. If it doesn't work, we'll change back.

Thanks.