Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:31 AM

Default JJ vs 789TT

Live 2/4. Table is very passive except for one maniac, who isn't in this hand. Hero has JJ on the button. Villain is SB and is weak-tight, but a lot better than everyone else at the table. I think i recognize him from a 4/8 game elsewhere in town. 4 limpers, Hero raises, everyone calls. 5 to the flop.

Flop (10 SB): T T 9 rainbow

Everyone checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, 2 callers.

Turn (7 BB): 8

Everyone checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, EP villain calls, other caller folds.

River (9 BB): 7

Villain checks, <font color="red">Hero bets, Villain raises</font>, Hero...?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: JJ vs 789TT

seems like a pretty standard call to me. Were you curious about raising or about folding on the river?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 AM

I like 3betting. You have a strong hand, and with the action the hand played out, it seems like hes behind.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Were you curious about raising or about folding on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising. Clearly i'm never folding for 1 bet here.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is SB and is weak-tight

[/ QUOTE ]

Minimum he's raising with here is a J...just call it.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:53 AM

I think I'd raise here since he'll have a 69s here and think you have AA, KK, QQ or something and that he's going to be rich often enough.

A weak tight isn't going to have 88 or 77 here.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd raise here since he'll have a 69s here and think you have AA, KK, QQ or something and that he's going to be rich often enough.

A weak tight isn't going to have 88 or 77 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a weak/tight player raising with the idiot straight. Matter of fact he isn't calling the SB with 69o.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a weak/tight player raising with the idiot straight. Matter of fact he isn't calling the SB with 69o.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Weak-tight" is, obviously, shorthand. I can't think of any good examples of Villain's play, so i can't really convey a complete read to you. He definitely wouldn't have called with 69o, but it's not impossible he could have been playing something else with a 6 (66/56/A6) in it.

Out of curiosity (and because my read is so vague), does your answer change if Villain is instead an unknown?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"Weak-tight" is, obviously, shorthand. I can't think of any good examples of Villain's play, so i can't really convey a complete read to you. He definitely wouldn't have called with 69o, but it's not impossible he could have been playing something else with a 6 (66/56/A6) in it.

Out of curiosity (and because my read is so vague), does your answer change if Villain is instead an unknown?

[/ QUOTE ]

My definition of a weak-tight player is that of someone who is only going to raise a hand that he is almost sure to win. Now, he could be raising you with a six. How could he put you on a pair of Jacks and see you walking into a straight on this board? But we're only putting him on a possible straight.

Why can't we put villian on 77? These types of hands are classic weak-tight postflop play. Call the preflop raise with the PP and call down to the river thinking Hero has overcards.

I simply don't think that Reraising this player is +EV. With the range of raising hands for this type of player I can't see us being profitable by popping this river again.

To reraise this river I'd need to be playing against a total fish, or a complete maniac. But I don't even see how this play would be +EV. I'd need to look at it longer but I'm still saying just call.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:36 AM

If he held QJ, why didn't he raise the turn? Have you noticed him "slow playing" anything down to the river?

I know some opponents like to raise rivers, others do it standardly on the turn.

The 7 gives him a Jack high straight, before the river though he'd have no straight.

If he raised the turn it would smell of QJ for a Qhigh straight.

I say call because your only splitting with another jack, and losing to Q high. I dont think a weak tight raises with low end of a 1card straight.

However he could easily put you on AA/KK/QQ so yeah call.