Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Tourney Re-Buy Question

I have a questions about tourney re-buys.

If a tourney has a buy-in of $1000 (and start with 1000 chips) with unlimited re-buys the first hour and players can re-buy anytime that players chips are at 1000 or below, how much do they get?

Let's say a player has 950 chips. If he re-buys, do the chips just top off at 1000 again or does he get 1000 chips for the re-buy and therefore will now have 1950 chips total?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Tourney Re-Buy Question

1000 more for 1950 total
Old 06-16-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a questions about tourney re-buys.

If a tourney has a buy-in of $1000 (and start with 1000 chips) with unlimited re-buys the first hour and players can re-buy anytime that players chips are at 1000 or below, how much do they get?

Let's say a player has 950 chips. If he re-buys, do the chips just top off at 1000 again or does he get 1000 chips for the re-buy and therefore will now have 1950 chips total?

Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

You buy in for the tournament, and you get $1,000 in chips.
You INSTANTLY rebuy, and you get another $1,000 in chips for a TOTAL of $2,000 in chips.

Do you understand?

Lets take this a step further. Say you lose a big hand and are down to 600 in chips. Should you rebuy here? I wouldn't recommend it - just keep pushing until you either get BACK to 2,000 in chips or you bust.

When you bust, then DOUBLE rebuy and get back to $2,000 in chips.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that in a rebuy tournament, you pretty much NEVER want to have less than the initial buy-in + rebuy.

Do you understand?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets take this a step further. Say you lose a big hand and are down to 600 in chips. Should you rebuy here? I wouldn't recommend it - just keep pushing until you either get BACK to 2,000 in chips or you bust. When you bust, then DOUBLE rebuy and get back to $2,000 in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread hijack -- I think this is very wrong. By "keep pushing" you seem to be implying making -CEV plays, with no benefit that I can see.

Why not just rebuy once to get to $1600? Is that really so much worse than $2000 in the situation when you bust?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lets take this a step further. Say you lose a big hand and are down to 600 in chips. Should you rebuy here? I wouldn't recommend it - just keep pushing until you either get BACK to 2,000 in chips or you bust. When you bust, then DOUBLE rebuy and get back to $2,000 in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread hijack -- I think this is very wrong. By "keep pushing" you seem to be implying making -CEV plays, with no benefit that I can see.

Why not just rebuy once to get to $1600? Is that really so much worse than $2000 in the situation when you bust?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't play in a lot of rebuys, do you? I'm not going to get nasty on you, but they truly are a different beast. You never want to have much less than the buyin + rebuy. And if there's an 'add-on' at the end of the first hour/rebuy period, then you NEVER want to go into the add-on with less than the buyin+rebuy+add-on.

-EV moves tend to happen during the first hour of a rebuy tournament. Like I said, they're a different beast, and if you're not ready for it, you'll be shocked.