Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2004, 06:12 PM

Default beginner NL theory

I'm relatively new to poker, so I started off by reading Theory of Poker and Super System. I play in a home game cash no limit low stakes with a consistent group of friends. I try to play tight aggressive- if I'm going to play a hand, I'll raise preflop unless I have suited connectors or pockets. I follow Doyle's advice of betting 90% of the time on the flop if I'm the preflop raiser, and usually I'll semibluff if I limped in as well. At first, people would fold to me constantly, and I'd be making money. But lately my opponents have caught on and will often call/raise me on the flop. As a result, the bluffs/semibluffs that Brunson and Sklansky both advocate are no longer profitable because opponent folding percentage reduces to near zero. What should I do in these situations? Sklansky advocates folding if you semibluff bet and your opponent raises, but I suspect my opponents are often semibluff raising, so I'll be folding a lot. On the other hand, if I call the semibluff raise, I'm probably at best even money to win, and since I feel the quality of opposition on the whole is pretty weak, this is a losing proposition to me.

Since I can't make my opponents fold, should I start playing super tight and wait for monster hands? If so, what kind of starting hands should I do this with?

Also, I'm wondering how to play PPs correctly when you flop the set but there's a straight or flush draw on the board and no overcards. I generally do not raise PPs preflop, so usually when the set hits there isn't a lot of money at the table. I feel that its wrong to slowplay and give my opponents a free card, but at the same time I know if i bet enough I'll almost certainly end up only winning a small pot. My understanding of why PPs are so good is because of their deceptive value; people don't expect the set so they'll give you action. I want action from TPTK and overcards in the hole but not from draws. What should I do?