Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Question for atheists and agnostics

Does your family ever try to convert you to their religion? I've been visiting with my family for Christmas and I'm averaging a Jeebus speech every couple hours. Is this normal?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Question for atheists and agnostics

I generally try and stay away from the subject. However, if someone insists on preaching to me, I will stick up for my beliefs. This usually causes some hard feelings, but it at least stops the preaching.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM

why is it that religous people always feel the need to convert the non believers.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is it that religous people always feel the need to convert the non believers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you feel the need to get a blind person standing in the middle of a road facing an oncoming semi to get out of the way?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does your family ever try to convert you to their religion? I've been visiting with my family for Christmas and I'm averaging a Jeebus speech every couple hours. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am lucky that most of my friends and family are atheists. But I relish the opportunity to convince theists they are misguided whenever I get the chance.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:31 PM

thats what his dog is for.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:33 PM

would you feel bad if on of these people lost their faith and commited suicide.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:34 PM

I'm actually quite impressed that guys like you, NotReady, RJT, etc. don't seem to preach on here. You simply present your point of view. I respect that. I'll also concede that the atheists on here (myself included?), seem to be more passionate about spreading our logical reasoning than theists do to spread their religious ones.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm actually quite impressed that guys like you, NotReady, RJT, etc. don't seem to preach on here. You simply present your point of view. I respect that. I'll also concede that the atheists on here (myself included?), seem to be more passionate about spreading our logical reasoning than theists do to spread their religious ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the nature of a philosophy forum. "logical reasoning" is what philosophy attempts to do. "Religious reasoning" is rather oxymoronic in that if it is logical reasoning then the fact it's about religion doesn't matter, and if it's illogical then who would want to be involved.

If somebody comes on here and say "well, hold it now.. you just have believe, then you'll see it my way" even the RCs and the protestants wouldn't buy in.

luckyme.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:06 PM

I agree with what you're saying. It's just my experience with the very religious that they they don't care where they are and feel compelled to save an atheistic heathen when they see one. I guess I respect that the religious on here respect that this is not the forum for it and for the most part, refrain from preaching.