Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Default semi bluff flush draw with pressure

This is my second orbit at the table. I have around 250 hands on villian.. stats are - 18/7 wtSD 15 w$SD 63

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($416.3)
BB ($509.1)
UTG ($477.5)
UTG+1 ($418.5)
Hero ($388)
MP1 ($669)
MP2 ($880.15)
MP3 ($1008.2)
CO ($200)
Button ($282.7)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2. MP3 posts a blind of $6. CO posts a blind of $4.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) calls $12, CO (poster) calls $12, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($56) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $35</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $150</font>, MP3 calls $955.20 (All-In), Hero calls $222 (All-In).

Turn: ($1418.20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($1418.20) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1418.20

Thoughts on the size of my raise? Is this call +or- ev?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: semi bluff flush draw with pressure

Maybe I should have named this post "I am dumb" .. probably woulda gotten more views
Old 05-21-2005, 08:27 PM

What do you do when he just calls your flop raise and the turn blanks? Don't do this.

Lead the flop. Check-calling is a lot better than what you did imo.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when he just calls your flop raise and the turn blanks? Don't do this.

Lead the flop. Check-calling is a lot better than what you did imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn blanks I bet, this makes it look like I have a monster, right? I RARElY slowplay good hands, so when I do just check-call it's pretty easy to know what I have if any draws to get there, but I guess that would be more for an opponent that knows my play. I used to have trouble getting paid off when I hit my draws because I would just play them so straight forward. Is a semi bluff better used in position?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Meh, this situation comes up every couple of days in some form or other and I constantly just restate old advice.

Go find that list of best threads that someone made, I think the thread you want is entitled 'Diablo teaches'.

Basically, when you have a great draw on the flop, you either wanna get as most $ as you can (read : all), or only a small amount.

You really don't wanna end up doing what you did, which is get half your stack in, and force yourself to put the rest in on the turn when the chance of you winning the hand is a lot less.

Your draw is pretty good here, if not amazing. Lead the flop as you would do with all your holdings. I 3-bet allin if raised. Play it this way with a set too. Then your opponent won't know what you're holding. Etc etc.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:00 PM

I'd be willing to bet a lot that MP has a set, assuming he isn't a total donk.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead the flop as you would do with all your holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's my answer. Why couldn't I think of that? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to bet a lot that MP has a set, assuming he isn't a total donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I was pretty scared of a set. It turned out he had a pair of 3s and my runner runner two-pair was more than enough to hold up. I love this game!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts on the size of my raise? Is this call +or- ev?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've just potted the flop.

As it shook out, you are getting 1.5:1 on your final flop call. That means that if the K and Q are outs, it's +EV. If they're not, it's -EV.