Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: The Big Lebowski

Yeah, you just don't like that type of humor I guess. Can't really explain to you. I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 PM

Agreed with SP. Looked so stupid. Brilliant movie. "AfghanistanimatioN!"
Old 11-22-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.

[/ QUOTE ] ummmm.... I liked it because it was funny. What other reason is there to like the film.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:52 PM

Default The Big Lebowski - Things to Get

Check out the Reviews on IMDB, usually good stuff there. Here is the most overtly "Deep" review. Theres a ton more on there that explain the movie, and a bunch from people, who didn't recognize how special it was until their third or fourth viewing.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a travesty that most critics only read The Big Lebowski at its most superficial level and called it a modern take on a Raymond Chandler potboiler. I simply can't begin to perceive how one could sit down in front of this cinematic pop-poetry, as it plates gold on the silver screen, and not feel so incredibly alive. The dream sequence Busbee Berkley musical numbers are unique and awe-inspiring; the humor is rich, subtle, and clever in the way it satirizes politically correct arrogance; the free-flowing story avoids (even pokes fun at) nonessentials like plot points and pay-offs. But what really makes this film such a masterpiece, such a panacea, is the incredible humanism, the care that the Coen brothers put in developing The Dude (Jeff Bridges), Walter (John Goodman), Donnie (Steve Buscemi-tremendously endearing), and Brandt (magnificently played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman). Looking at the films use of Sam Elliott to play The Stranger, who constantly rambles about the many wonders of The Dude (among other things), it is clear that the film is an ode to a Dudist way of life. And in a time where so many film promise that they have the answer to the worlds problems and end up as slick, stylistic show-off films, what more could one ask for than a good-hearted film like this? Not to mention the performance by Jeff Bridges, which ranks among the best performances of the nineties; he has a relaxed slouch, a goofy smile, an enthusiastic dance, and his buttons can only be pushed by Walter, who John Goodman plays with charm and fury. The Coen brothers have always been considered 'cold' filmmakers, but there is nothing here but warmth and humanity (as is the case with the Coens' Fargo). What we have here is one of the greatest achievements in modern cinema and if you can't see that, grab a White Russian, hit the bowling ally, and find your inner-Dude as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigL User Comments
Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: The Big Lebowski - Things to Get

so what you and that review are saying is that if you think the film is stupid then its probably because you are to stupid to realize how un-stupid the film is, right?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cinematic pop-poetry

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading right there.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Yeah it's pretentious as hell...but a decent explanation.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM

I didn't care for it either, maybe I'm too old (51). My daughter loved it. I like the Coen Brothers: loved Fargo and the Hudsucker Proxy in particular.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Theres different levels of humor. There's a reason why there's an audience for things like Friends and BBC's The Office, both are funny, but in completely different contexts.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Bring Poker and The Big Lebowski together and you get this:

http://cardsspeak.servebeer.com/arch..._the_dude.html

Enjoy - I found it somewhat entertaining.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]