Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Flopped nuts turns to scary huge pot

Villain is 66/28/2. My only note is that with TT overpair he bet very weakly on flop and turn. I hadn't seen many hands but my impression was that he bets strong unless he has a hand. Am I a calling station?

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) converter

MP ($130.85)
Button ($100.40)
SB ($151.60)
Hero ($138.50)
UTG ($262.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3.50, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($12) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $14</font>, Hero calls $14, MP folds.

Turn: ($40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $45</font>, Hero calls $45.

River: ($130) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $88.6 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $75.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $294.10
Old 12-30-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Flopped nuts turns to scary huge pot

bad flop to slowplay. I raise that flop 100% of the time with a flush draw out there.

As played, push the turn in case he has a single club, cause it's too late to fold.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:19 AM

Well if you apply your notes AND look at how cordinated the flop is, then this is an ideal situation to raise the flop and get it all in.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:19 AM

yes, many scary cards, your hands will not improve.. you may get counterfeit, flush draw, a paired board,

you might as well raise the flop and make him pay for the draw if hes already willing to put in 3/4 pot.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:50 AM

I'd probably raise the flop. However, I think it's unlikely that SB is overbetting the pot on a flush draw. I think hero should worry more about a board pairing than a flush here. With MP yet to act on the flop though I think you should raise the flop.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 AM

I like the flop call. There are a lot of hands SB can have here, you are way ahead of. Also MP could come along for a ride. Play passive and let SB hang himself.

I probably call the turn too. After his bet obviously a made flush is a possibility, but so is 2 pair, a set, another JQ or even AK trying to protect his hand. In fact, he bet the flop kind of strong for a draw. I'd say you are about even money and if he has the flush, you do have slight redraw possibilites with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] .Maybe you should push here. Your money is going in anyway.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 PM

never slowplay straights
Old 12-30-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never slowplay straights

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a silly generalization. I come from the school of thought that says fast-playing is the new slow-playing, and the best way to win a big pot is by playing the nuts or a monster very fast.

In this case, though, if you're certain that the villain will continue to hang himself, I think it's decision time. If you decide that he will continue to lead hard at the pot no matter what comes, you've got to decide that another club will not get you off the hand and calling might be a better option -- a raise could chase him away.

However, you've said that villain wouldn't seem to bet with air, and in the rare case that he is on a flush draw, a raise to $35 or so would be appropriate. You've also got the other opponent behind.

So I would say bomb this flop, comfortable that you're likely to get action from the villain and with a small possibility that you'll get action from the other opponent. ALMOST always play a hand like this fast -- but don't blindly decide to play a straight the same way every time.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
never slowplay straights

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a silly generalization. I come from the school of thought that says fast-playing is the new slow-playing, and the best way to win a big pot is by playing the nuts or a monster very fast.

In this case, though, if you're certain that the villain will continue to hang himself, I think it's decision time. If you decide that he will continue to lead hard at the pot no matter what comes, you've got to decide that another club will not get you off the hand and calling might be a better option -- a raise could chase him away.

However, you've said that villain wouldn't seem to bet with air, and in the rare case that he is on a flush draw, a raise to $35 or so would be appropriate. You've also got the other opponent behind.

So I would say bomb this flop, comfortable that you're likely to get action from the villain and with a small possibility that you'll get action from the other opponent. ALMOST always play a hand like this fast -- but don't blindly decide to play a straight the same way every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It most certainly is not a silly generalization. Straights are totally vulnerable - especially when there's a flush draw out there and people are leading into you.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM

This is a bad flat call. I am guilty of making the same move, but it will come back to haunt you often enough.

I'm definitley raising this flop. To what amount I dont know, but I might employ a push here. I think a large "over-raise" here will/might accomplish 3 things ....

1. Appear weak.
2. Definitley protect your hand
3. Although it wont result in a call as often, I think it might be more +EV then a standard raise.

I'm not saying its definitley the right move, just giving an arguement for it.