Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: $22: UTG confusion

Raising and folding to a reraise with 10.5xbb is a big leak imo, blinds coming up or not.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM

This is one of those rare spots where I will often min-raise. It will almost certainly be the first time my opponents have seen me do this. The min-raise UTG tends to induce enough fear to keep the big stacks from being too aggressive without a better hand. If I get re-raised I can walk away with a minimal loss.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have come around full circle on your line. Are you pushing this? BTW, I'm very confident on my range for the BTN, he's had over t2000 since the first orbit. SB may be a little wider, but he's just gotten his stack so its hard to say as he was playing more hands to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor wording on my part. I meant the large stacks may fold AQ/AK to a push here (not you). I like the AJ push...no circle, more like a crescent moon.

At a 22 though, you may get some stupid calls, but I think its still a fine play.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 PM

SNGPT says push over fold (+1.3%) putting the biggies at very tight and shorties at very loose.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SNGPT says push over fold (+1.3%) putting the biggies at very tight and shorties at very loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm actually kinda surprised at the results when you open up the shorties ranges and tighten up the biggies range, which is in my OP.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM

I think you have to ask yourself a few questions:

Are bigstacks tight?
Are bigstacks donkish?
Do I need these chips right now?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:22 PM

I like calling or minraising over pushing. Those big stacks are probably not as tight as you think, and either of them calling with 55 is a disaster. Also, no fing way either of them folds AQ.

Anyway, unless you have a solid read that one of them is a good player I like a limp and then call the BB's inevitable push. This is a situation (IMO) where the $6-22s differ greatly from the higher level games. These people are far too stupid to do what's good for them. The BB will fold all but the best hands if there's a call and a push in front of him, for example. People at the 22s do not evaluate the situation. They have either a big stack or a little stack, good cards or bad cards.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Wow, what a gross spot. I don't like pushing, partly because of the stack distribution, and partly because the BB will call with an enormous range (though not any-2, this being a $22). Of course AJo is a favorite over that range but, nonetheless, the more he calls, the less $EV you make. I like minraisng better than pushing, but I think I actually...errrr....fold.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, what a gross spot. I don't like pushing, partly because of the stack distribution, and partly because the BB will call with an enormous range (though not any-2, this being a $22). Of course AJo is a favorite over that range but, nonetheless, the more he calls, the less $EV you make. I like minraisng better than pushing, but I think I actually...errrr....fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding isn't a bad option here and I would do it sometimes depending on the table dynamics. If I had a few less chips it would probably be my default. Here I think you have enough chips to make a speculative min-raise and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:50 PM

I just fold because it's much easier to play when you don't have cards in front of you. I really don't feel like tangling here. Maybe on occasion I'll push, but folding just feels much better.