Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: AQ

I think that this might be a spot where as the pot becomes larger it becomes more correct to just call.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Raise again. This donk-donk line has become more and more popular with hands we beat like top pair or second pair.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that this might be a spot where as the pot becomes larger it becomes more correct to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting statement. Going to noodle a bit here about why that might be the case.

We'd like to protect our hand, so let's look at that a bit. we have a pretty large pot and one cold-caller after us on the flop. Highly likely he's on a draw of some sort. A set of twos is possible, but not too likely. Even with a raise, we're still giving the right odds for an OESD to call, so we're not folding that out. Most other hands that cold-call that flop have between 2 and 5 outs against us. We can protect against those hands unless the pot is truly monstrous.

This pot is large enough that our play should be dictated by doing whatever we can to enhance the likelihood that we win the pot.

So our next question is why we're being donked into here. Is this a value bet from a now-better hand? If so, we'll get 3-bet here and be told so in pretty clear terms. Add in the fact that T9 would very likely would c/r here, not bet, and I think we can't go into call-down mode based on that just yet. So if not just for value, why is he donking? What does he expect us to do? We raised the flop, so he has to expect a turn raise to not be out of the question. I think he's wanting to use your raise to get this heads up.

Another reason to just call is to enhance our total value. If we call here and assume both opponents call on the turn (and we have the best hand), we make four bets (two bets each). If we raise and fold out the cold caller, it's not unreasonable to assume that the river will go check/call (check raise or another donk probably mean we're beat), so we're only making three bets. The question is whether the additional bet from the overcall is worth the risk of that 3rd player outdrawing us. I don't think it is. Our hand is too vulnerable for that kind of play.

I don't see it. I raise to protect my hand and fold to a 3-bet from either opponent. This pot is large enough I want to do whatever I can to enhance my chances of winning it.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hand like this last night. I raise preflop, person donks into me on the flop; I raise. Donk again on the turn; I raise and am thinking WTF? River I finally just call and MHIG. I'll have to post the hand. The donking me twice line really confused me but it led me to believe he didn't have anything.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 PM

Easy raise for me. Getting donked twice in a row at $2 $4 happens 50 times a session and my TPTK is going nowhere. With the LP player still in I want to raise here, drive him out, and perhaps get a free showdown if he does not donk again. You say he is a "typical" $2 $4 player but such an animal does not exist. LAGs make this move all the time and I have seen many a decnt stat player do this with no hand and no draw. True that usually they have something but it is often not much. I am not folding to a 3 bet either as he could have just queens with a worse kicker or a ropey 2 pair that I have a good few outs against.

The only time I could even consider dropping here is if the LP guy 3 bets it, then I am worried.

Edited to say that without the LP player in I can just call this down. No need to push a bluffer or middle pair bettor out and we can get to showdown for 2 more BBs.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:51 PM

Cold caller called the flop getting ~5:1, what's he now going to fold in the face of a raise that you aren't already crushing?

As villian (L1), ^^this^^, plus this thread, is the reason why I donk T9 on the turn.

But I think the opposite of Jason. I think as the pot gets bigger, you should be more willing to raise.

It means that cold caller is more likley to have called the flop with a marginal drawing hand and the benefit/value of folding his 3-5 outer is increased. It also means that L1 is more likely making a play/semibluffing at the pot.

I call in the smaller pot, raise in a big one.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would really hate myself if I gave odds to the gutshot behind me and he hit. That would be BAD POKER.

I raise.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to hear more about Jason's thoughts on this. I'm not convinced, but I'm also just an average player.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 AM

i'm just calling most of the time. i'd like to see a non 9,T river.

if there were an astronomical number of limpers and the pot was insanely huge on the flop i might not raise said flop and instead plan to raise the turn (or bet if checked to) as my flop raise may not accomplish anything.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM

I think I'd call down here. I can't imagine he's on auto-donk without something. At the same time, typical players on Party aren't always aggressive or smart enough to raise to protect their hands. They just seem to bet and call a raise.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has QJ.