Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM

Default 4/8 live, overplayed 88 in a heads-up battle?

4/8 live. Table is tightish with a couple laggy fish immediately to my right making the table worth staying at. I'm in MP w/ 88.

BB is the tightest player at the table. I haven't seen him get out of line either pre or post flop. He'll call down w/ top pair weak kicker, but has shown the ability to fold when he knows he's beaten.

I've been at the table a while and haven't done anything outlandish, although I have check-raised the LAGs several times. He seems to be paying attention, so his image of me is probably that I'm a reasonable player possibly with a minor case of Fancy Play Syndrome.

folded to me and I raise, hoping to just steal the blinds and move on.

BB is the only caller, although he doesn't look in love with his hand. I figure Ax, Kxs, possibly a largish unsuited connector (89 - qj) or one gapper. In generally his calling range is going to be pretty large here.

Flop: 10d 6s 6c.

I bet, he calls.

That's a pretty good flop for me. It's not draw-heavy and I figure he's on a drawing hand. He may have connected with the 10, but if so, I can really press and put him to the test here as he has to worry about an overpair since he's seen me only show down very strong hands when I raised pre-flop (QQ twice).

I check dark, planning to raise a bet on a non-overcard turn.

Turn 7s

Beautiful card for me, adding three outs if I'm not already ahead. 89 would suck, but other than that, I'm either ahead of or have outs against the majority of his possible holdings.

He bets, I raise, he stares at the board for about 20 seconds and calls. I could almost see the math in his head counting bets and figuring his odds. He's either still drawing or he has TPGK and is contemplating whether to give up or call down.

As he calls, he taps the table and says, "nice hand." I don't detect any sarcasm or frustration in his voice. My impresion is that he's genuinely enjoying the battle of wits here and trying to put me on hands. He's right. This is fun stuff.

I'm planning to bet pretty much any river. I think it's very possible he'll fold a ten. I'll fold to a raise unless I improve, though.

River: 8s

dream come true. This not only completes my hand, but fills in the straight and the flush draws. I have a boat and villain has yet to show significant strength, so I don't think he has TT or 66. I'm prepared to go to war here if he'll comply.

He isn't. bet/call.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: 4/8 live, overplayed 88 in a heads-up battle?

Bet He probaly thinks he is beat and will check if you do.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in MP w/ 88.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

BB is the only caller

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I check dark

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Sorry. I should have been more explicit about that. I was indicating to him that I would check behind if he checked to me. I absolutely would have done so. I had no intention of mis-representing my action in any way. Re-reading, you're quite right, that's confusing as stated.

I saw two options in how I wanted to play the hand on the turn. Either take a free card, representing missed overcards, or raise the turn representing an overpair. I really had no preference on which line to take (very interested in comments on whether I should have a preferred line here), so I decided to utilize the fact that this was live to get a better handle on the BB's hand based on whether he would take me up on the offer of a free card.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Not sure I like the table talk, but whatever. As for the hand:

Preflop and flop are standard.

The turn raise is fine as a semi-bluff/free showdown raise since the BB seems to be passive. You might be ahead, but you are not sure. If you are behind, you have outs to improve. So, you are raising hoping those two BBs get you to showdown. If you make a straight or full house, you can bet the river. If you do not improve, you must check behind as I doubt a worse hand will call in this spot. Also, if BB calls and bets the river you should fold. The description does not make it seem like he will make a bluff on the turn and river after the aggression you have shown.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Good feedback. It absolutely felt right at the time, but thinking about the hand afterwards, I had a hard time deciding whether the raise was a solid semi-bluff or spew.

And honestly, I know I don't like the table-talk. I should just play the damn hand and keep my mouth shut. Bottom line, I was bored from being card-dead for an hour or so and started chattering for no good reason. Bad thing to do. Thanks for not reading me the riot act about it.

End result, BB shows T9o and MHIG.