Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Playing too many hands (VPIP > 25 at full ring, > 30 at 6-max)
> 1.0 11 35.48%
between 0.5 and 1.0 9 29.03%
between 0.25 and 0.5 9 29.03%
between 0.1 and 0.25 1 3.23%
< 0.1 BB/100 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Default On or Off?

Do you leave your computer on 24/7? From the time you wake up til the the time you go to bed? Just when you are using it? Something else?

Is it bad for your computer if you leave it on all the time? Is it bad if you turn it on and off all the time?

Maybe this should go in the computer tech help forum, but 3 people visit that a day. Mods, feel free to move if you deem it necessary.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: On or Off?

Leaving it on all the time, is usually better than turning it off/on too much, power surges contacts etc.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving it on all the time, is usually better than turning it off/on too much, power surges contacts etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has nothing to do with power surges, it's mostly just the stress on the components (cpu, memory, motherboard) from warming up and then cooling back down (expansion and contraction of the metals and plastic).
Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it has nothing to do with power surges, it's mostly just the stress on the components (cpu, memory, motherboard) from warming up and then cooling back down (expansion and contraction of the metals and plastic).

[/ QUOTE ]

if anyone can confirm this, this guy should lose a star.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if anyone can confirm this, this guy should lose a star.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is correct. But power surges, well releasing/charging capacitors (which is what I meant), also wears on things, as stated above.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Usually 24/7, but if I'm gonna be gone more than 24 hours I turn it off. (It's a laptop, so I also turn it off whenever I have to take it someplace, but that is rarely now)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM

From a Tech, leave it on all the time , reboot it once in awhile [ once a week maybe not even] yes even a windows OS can last this long but no need to do a full shutdown unless you go on vaca and thats just to save elec.

it does no harm to your PC to keep it on, in fact its better to keep it running 24/7 , kind of like a car if you left a car running all the time you'd have less problems,same as far as the computer goes.the most stress is when it starts up.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:08 PM

It's equally true on your electric bill. Although I can't confirm the exact number, but turning on your computer requires as much electricity as it does to run it for about 4 hours.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Have you got any source for that? Seems vanishingly unlikely to me...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Yeah, probably. This is from at least 5 years ago. Although if your computer only has like 2 fans in it, I can't see why it would use much electricity. Obviously those numbers don't include running two 21' flat screens. No, I don't have a source I can point you to.