Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Thin value bet or no value at all?

Both villains are pretty terrible LPPs - they have been calling down with very little up to now. The question is on the river - is there any value in betting whatsoever, or is a check behind best?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, Hero...
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Thin value bet or no value at all?

I would bet the river for value.

There are still a number of 2nd best hands that SB and CO could call with, such as 4x, 2x, 6x or a smaller pocket pair.

If you are check/raised then you need to decide whether you will call the raise. If I had a good read on both SB and CO being passive postflop, I would fold to a check/raise. Your opponent most likely would have made the flush.

However if you were unsure or thought that either of your oppenents might be tricky enough to try a check/raise bluff on the river, then you would have to call.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Based on your read, I think a bet is the way to go. If they had hit the flush, they would have bet the river, and if they have been calling down with second pair before, I see a definite possibility that you can extract a bet from at least one of them. Of course, it is definitely possible that they are playing Kx and you will lose a decent portion, but I still think there is some value in betting.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Against LPP's, even those who have been calling down with shite, I check behind.

-Jaran