Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: I hate pocket pairs even more...

[ QUOTE ]
Well I raised him, he called, and then promtly CRed me on the turn, at which point I chucked it. I don't really like calling down very much - we are behind to a normal capping range far more than we are ahead. I think this is one of those times where finding out where we stand earlier, on the cheap streets, is much more +ev than blindly calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that outlook, but if you look at it another way, you spent 2 sb on the flop and 1 bb on the turn, or 2bb total, w/o seeing a showdown. My line is to get to showdown for 2.5bb, only 1sb more than your line, and protect against getting bluffed off the best hand by an aggressive player, keeping that player bluffing at me when he doesn't have the best hand, which is hopefully often enough to make up for the extra 1sb I spend when I do lose. I'm not saying I'm right, but that's the way I look at it.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I raised him, he called, and then promtly CRed me on the turn, at which point I chucked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I would have done as well.

I will sometimes take Fuji's call-and-bet-if-checked-to line, especially if villain is aggressive or tricky. On this particular hand, though, raising the flop and betting the turn probably saved you a SB. Either approach is reasonable.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM

for me that C/R on turn = he has you beat. nice fold.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My line is to get to showdown for 2.5bb, only 1sb more than your line, and protect against getting bluffed off the best hand by an aggressive player,

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few .5/1 players who are capable of pulling a bluff-checkraise. If villain were tricky enough to pull off a play like that, you would probably know it. In that case a passive line is fine, but against an unknown you can easily dump this to a c/r.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My line is to get to showdown for 2.5bb, only 1sb more than your line, and protect against getting bluffed off the best hand by an aggressive player,

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few .5/1 players who are capable of pulling a bluff-checkraise. If villain were tricky enough to pull off a play like that, you would probably know it. In that case a passive line is fine, but against an unknown you can easily dump this to a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, this probably isn't much of a concern. But what about if we are ahead, villian will almost always fold a worse hand on the turn when you raise the flop, limiting your win to 1bb after the flop? He will generally know he's ahead, or know he's behind. What do you think is better, protecting against AK sucking out on you on the river, or keeping a worse hand bluffing at you? I don't know myself.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 AM

Against unknown I like checking behind him on the turn. I like it because
1) I get to showdown for 1BB more
2) if he was being tricky with QQ/AA by giving us the lead by just calling the postflop then he will be more likely to play it straight up next time for fear of giving a freecard (edit: and missing a BB)
2) I get to see his cards
3) and therefore I get a read on him for future hands

However without a showdown Im none the wiser and could be in a similar dilemma a few hands down the track with same player or another player at time who was paying attention to this hand.

anyway I dont play party 0.5/1 so I cant comment but at stars nanos that turn check raise is a big red flag that Im beat.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 AM

(in the dark, criticism welcome)

Hard to answer without reads/stats, but I'll look at this like I just jumped on the table.

Hero should raise the flop. Without reads it is the only way to try and get an idea of MP1's holding. Hopefully, he's holding AK and will fold to any aggression, but at least his response will give a clearer idea what is up.