Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 01:41 PM

Default 1-4-88 spread limit;

good loose 1-4-88 spread with one solid player UTG +1. i pick up AQo in MP.

UTG +1 raises, i reraise and its folded back to the UTG +1.

flop comes A64r; UTG+1 bets, i raise and he reraises. but i'm wondering here if i should have just folded when he bet into me. what would you have done?
Old 07-19-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: 1-4-88 spread limit;

Fold pre-flop.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:20 PM

A solid player raises in EP, you probably shouldn't play AQ off in a standard format, in this game, with the cheaper blinds, it cost even less to fold. You might make the preflop three bet against a loose aggressive, but all your trouble on this hand come from your loose play preflop.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:09 PM

He has to be raising with quite a few hands WORSE than AQ before you can reraise. I think AQ is about even money if his minimume raising standards are AT.

On the flop ... well we just have to assume he's raising too much. When the A hits and he bets ... well, I'd just call. [1] Either you or he has a paltry 3 outer [2] he may be bluffing with a 2-outer pair AND keep bluffing, or decide to pay you off since you didn't raise the flop.

How two solid hands match up HEADSUP is quite a bit different than multi-way or when the other guy has loose standards. "Slow-playing" in the first situation is quite a bit different than slow-playing in the 2nd.

You played well against the routine aggressive-loose folk, not against the solid player.

- Louie
Old 07-20-2003, 03:59 AM

Default thanks for the responses everyone

hi
yea, i knew i never should have attempted to get heads up or even be in the hand for that matter. there were so many players coming in weak that i jumped the gun a little and really got stung. it's a lesson i'll never forget. thanks for the responses.